"Can chickens hatch quail eggs" Yes they can!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by 7quails3chicken, May 24, 2012.

1. My Mille Fleur Bantams have hatched Peafowl eggs before.. 1 egg per hen[​IMG]

2. 7quails3chicken

7quails3chicken In the Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    sweetness [​IMG]

3. GBov

GBov Songster

Apr 3, 2009
    My silkies will be going broody soon as their first batch of chicks are almost independant of them now.

How many Coturnix eggs per hen?

Will the chick bond and follow her like chicken chicks do?

And are silkie hens too big? Would a smaller bantam breed be better?

4. 7quails3chicken

Mar 15, 2012
    Well I only put 3 eggs under my black sumatra hen,she is not so big, A friend of mine has hatched quail eggs under much bigger chickens and it worked good,and it was her first time ever hatching anything so only 1 hatched,and yes she loves it soo much it and loves her too, next time I want to put more Quail egg's under her, Come see my day to day videos iv made on you tube about how mommy chicken and her baby Quail are doing If you want to know more about them [​IMG] here is the link to get to my videos just press play all and in joy [​IMG] http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8288CB6DC6D2B719&feature=plcp

5. 7quails3chicken

Mar 15, 2012
    I forgot to tell you,but for next time if you try,There is a method to my madness lol So if you do start having a chicken hatch quail eggs,just remember chickens go broody for 20-21 day's and quail eggs only take 17-18 days to hatch, 15-16 if they are button's. For my quail egg's I wait to put them under Suma when she has gone broody for 3 days!!! ^o^ ^o^ So that's how you do it, Just Wait till your chicken's gone broody,and Wait the appropriate day's to put the quail eggs under her ^o^ good luck ^o^

6. supaflyz

supaflyz In the Brooder

May 23, 2012
    Unfortunately guys the hen broke all of the eggs. I had more then 50 eggs and she broke all of them. I'm just going to build an incubator.

7. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Crowing

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks

Sorry your eggs were lost. More often than not this is the out come when using a chicken to hatch quail eggs.. Everyone has to try it atleast once! A few hens will be successful, but most will end up breaking the eggs... Good luck with your incubator... Bill

8. kapie9969

kapie9969 Chirping

Aug 7, 2012
    One of the reasons i have cochin bantams is because of theyre reputation for going broody and hatching whatever eggs get slipped under them.I plan on quail soon.Im going to test them with fake eggs first to see wich ones have the instinct for this.This is also supposed to teach the birds not to peck the eggs because knothing happens.Ive read a few cases of cochin hatching and raising quail,even duck eggs.I think [email protected] quail would be easier than raising meat birds,i guess ill find out.

9. 7quails3chicken

Mar 15, 2012
    "Very cool I hope everything work's for you" ^o^ oh and the only reason I bought the fake egg's is to keep my hen in the same spot I was tired of hunting down her egg's,before I got them she would lay just everywhere, even next door lol so yeah it work for keeping her in the same nest and come to find out made her go broody Lol ^o^ Just remember chickens go broody for 20-21 day's and quail eggs only take 17-18 days to hatch, 15-16 if they are button's. For my quail egg's I wait to put them under my hen when she has gone broody for 3 days!!! ^o^ So t Just Wait till your chicken's gone broody,and Wait the appropriate day's to put the quail eggs under her ^o^ good luck ^o^ My hen is the best mommy to all her quail baby's she is raising 10 atm ^o^

10. Got my wife a silkie for just this reason... She hasn't started laying yet so I will have to wait for now, which is cool since it's so hot here now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: