1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chickens have egg nog?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by coolcanoechic, Dec 1, 2011.

1. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Just curious. Won't do it if it is bad for them. Just looking for new treats to try. Would never over indulge them.

2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Sure, but I wouldn't let them drive afterwards!

3. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Quote:Not even a chicken tractor?

4. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:[​IMG]

(especially if I make it ... [​IMG] )

5. coolcanoechic

Quote:Not even a chicken tractor?

Ha ha [​IMG] Thats funny!
    The reason I asked was because egg nog has sugar in it and I didn't know if it would be a bad for them.

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I was tempted to give mine some too. I decided against it because of the sugar. My cat did get a couple spoonfuls of it and loved it. You can try using it for French toast if you just want to use it up. I bought mine after another BYC member suggested it. It was yummy! [​IMG]

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Chickens can't digest lactose, so if you give them too much they'll get the runs. Personally, I would drink the eggnog myself!

8. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    The only bad part is the high amount of sugar I would think. Hahaha dont let them drive and watch for stumbling around.

9. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    Spiking it with whiskey (for its grain content) would surely be better than the rum-laced, cane-based concoction.

Turning that remark to the serious side, eggnog in any significant quantity or on a regular basis would be pumping up their sugar intake from the raw sugars they encounter in their feed and forage . . . BIG time. Wicked disruptive, to my mind, to the balance of feed and treats that make for happy, distracted, healthy birds. You could overfeed a lot of scratch, veggie scraps or other treats, before you'd disrupt the diet they require as much as something as sweet as eggnog would.

10. coolcanoechic

Well, I tried it. They loved it. I only let them have a few sips though before taking it away. One thing I noticed about the girls is that they only take a few bites of treats and then they are done with it. They don't gorge themselves like a dog would. I know that moderation is a good idea, since they get everything they need from their feed and that it is important that they eat their feed first before treats.
    Right now, the girls are new. I have only had them for a week and I'm trying to get them to like me. The previous owner let them free range and didn't handle them much, so now I need to win their trust. Treats are the only way I think I can do this. Any other ideas? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by