can chickens live in your home premenantly

Since I've been reading this other thread, does anyone who keeps house chickens ever worry about this? https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ty-pneumonitis-bird-keepers-lung-flu.1352878/
My grandmother raised chickens all her life, this was her only income. She never wore a mask. Neither did anyone else way back when. I've been around chickens all my life, and I don't wear a mask either. I, like my grandmother have a large walk in coop with excellent ventilation. She also taught me to keep a coop meticulously clean. She said we wouldn't want to live in tiny poop filled boxes, so don't keep your animals in those conditions either. Most sites state that this is a rare condition, so why worry? Keep everything clean, open and airy.

has anyone considered the fact that cats and dogs can have fleas and can bring them into the house? Have they considered the fact that cats and dogs can carry worms and all kinds of other diseases and parasites? Yet I bet all of you have cats and dogs, right? And in your house, right? And I bet 50-100 years ago when most cats and dogs lived in barns or doghouses, people said all this same stuff. I know of people still who think pets should only be outdoors, and my opinion is those people should refrain from having pets.

Furthermore in some European countries, animals were usually kept in the bottom floor of the residence and humans lived in the upper floor.
I am so glad you wrote that! I was thinking it about everyone who said ewww about chickens in a house, but didn't have the guts to speak up. Bravo for you!

I am so glad you wrote that! I was thinking it about everyone who said ewww about chickens in a house, but didn't have the guts to speak up. Bravo for you!

Thank you! So glad you enjoyed my post...
One thing I neglected to mention, I feel indoor pets have benefitted my health, even my respiratory health. I used to use all kinds of terrible toxic things like a certain bathroom cleaner that'll works hard so you don't have to and a certain aerosol disinfectant that is now in high demand, and nail polish remover and nail polish and all kinds of other things in the house. When I got parakeets, I completely stopped using those things. I would never expose the animals to them. And because of that, I wasn't exposing myself to them either.

What would gross me out most about an indoor chicken is all the poop. Even with a diaper, you’d still have to wash sh!t out of it... over and over and over again. I have 2 kids, I feel like I’ve dealt with enough diapers already and am beyond happy to be done with that stage of my life. Not signing up for more.

What would gross me out most about an indoor chicken is all the poop. Even with a diaper, you’d still have to wash sh!t out of it... over and over and over again. I have 2 kids, I feel like I’ve dealt with enough diapers already and am beyond happy to be done with that stage of my life. Not signing up for more.

Fair enough. But even in and out door coop you do have to clean up after them.

It has me puzzled how people could do this as chickens are poop machines. We are adding an enclosed fence to our coop instead of letting them roam the entire yard because they poop on absolutely everything! It's not like you can house train a chicken.

It has me puzzled how people could do this as chickens are poop machines. We are adding an enclosed fence to our coop instead of letting them roam the entire yard because they poop on absolutely everything! It's not like you can house train a chicken.

Not sure I can agree with that statement. It would probably be fair to say you can't house train just any chicken. However, I have a bantam that is more or less house trained. She uses a litter box in the form of a flower pot. And I think a lot of house chickens are probably small bantams. Also, probably not every house chicken is permitted to roam unconfined at all times.

Fair enough. But even in and out door coop you do have to clean up after them.
Yeah, with tools that have long handles! I don’t have to touch it or rub it between my hands all wet and runny in the sink under running water... Just thinking about it is enough to turn me off :lol: With babies, at least they grow out of that stage after a couple of years. Maybe some people don’t mind it, and that’s fine. I’m just personally done washing sh!t by hand😁

No Sh!t!!!

you don't have to sign up for it, but in case others are interested you just fold a paper towel in quarters and place inside the diaper. Totally disposable.

Back
Top Bottom