Can chickens see in the dark?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BJ, Nov 27, 2007.

1. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    I've just been wondering how well they can see in the pitch black darkness. When the light goes out in the coop, it is pitch black. Would they be able to see to get up on their roost? There is not even a sliver of light coming in.

2. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    if there is not like what so ever, then nothing can see in it. eyes have to have at least some light to be able to see. without light, there are no colors, therefore everything is black. So no.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, they are night-blind. That's why they rarely protest much when you take them off the roost.

4. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Normally they cant see too well even in a dusk/dark situation.
    That being said, I had a little cross beak whose eyes were sensitive to light due to her "problem" and she could see real well in the dark. The light hurt her eyes somethin awful. I was amazed how well she could see with the lights off, but I think it was due to the light sensitivity thing. She also died at a very young age due to not getting enuff to eat. [​IMG]

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    That's why you find chickens heading to the roost way before sundown...they don't see well at all after dark.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by