Will a Startled chicken lay an egg?

CrazyClayLady

Hatching
Oct 10, 2023
I’ve had this happen 3-4 times now and I’m curious if it’s common or if I just have a weird chicken. My girls free range so just before dark we go out and make sure they all made it back to the coop. Occasionally we are busy and don’t get out there before it’s very dark so I turn the light on to do a quick head count. Sometimes when I do this one of them drops an egg from there roost. Am I scaring and egg out of her?

I’ve had this happen 3-4 times now and I’m curious if it’s common or if I just have a weird chicken. My girls free range so just before dark we go out and make sure they all made it back to the coop. Occasionally we are busy and don’t get out there before it’s very dark so I turn the light on to do a quick head count. Sometimes when I do this one of them drops an egg from there roost. Am I scaring and egg out of her?
Just a thought, but you might want to bring a weapon with you when going out after full dark to lock them up. Can't count on both hands how many times I've found a raccoon or opossum in the coop WITH them at that time of evening. OR chickens milling around outside the coop, in the DARK, because there's something already inside. That said.....

Very strange time to lay an egg, for sure! I'd say it's possible because of being startled, but I imagine it's because of the sudden light that triggers laying.

Back
Top Bottom