can chickens with clipped wings learn to fly again?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MaryFrances, Aug 27, 2011.

1. MaryFrances

MaryFrances Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    Clarkesville, GA
    I have someone keeping my little rooster for a while. I hope to have a place he can come back to some time before too long. They are wanting to clip his wings because he's getting out of their pen and they have dogs.
    I love this little bird, he is hand raised and very tame. He loves to fly onto my head and often will fly and land on my arm. If they clip his wings, can he learn to fly again after they grow out? I've heard that they forget.

2. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine certainly haven't [​IMG] they still escape out of their pen. Guess we will have no choice but this top. I noticed when I first clipped them they couldn't get out for like a week, and then I came home one day and all of them were out... So your rooster will probably not forget how to fly.

3. MaryFrances

Mar 17, 2009
    Clarkesville, GA
    He's a funny rooster, he's so very tiny everyone thinks he's a hen. I found him at work, separated from his mama hen at 8 hours old, cold and almost dead; warmed him up and the mama wouldn't take him back. I had myself a little chick![​IMG] He is very much a runt and the perfect rooster. He doesn't crow at all!!!!!!!

I just read that if both wings are clipped, he will be able to fly again. If I move to a place where I can keep him, I definitely want him to be able to fly.[​IMG]

4. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    We clip both wings and yes, they will fly again.

5. MaryFrances

Mar 17, 2009
    Clarkesville, GA
    Thank you!!!!! I am crazy about this little bird. I am glad he would be able to fly again!!!

6. j3707

j3707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    I clip one wing on my white leghorns and they started right back to flying after their molt.

7. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes they will, it's better if one wing is clipped a little more than the other so, it keeps their flight a little off balance. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by