Can chicks get cocci from eating the medicated food? HELP??

sonew123

Poultry Snuggie
11 Years
Mar 16, 2009
onchiota NY
some of my chicks-that look fine-have been having foamy poops-They have been on med food since day 1. I change their bedding -paper towels right now-5 days old-1-2 times a day change their water everyday...there are 15 chicks in 1 brooder and 9 in another. There pretty good size brooders-in my bathroom heating lamps-snuggly bears etc...If I'm in there I can hear them exploiding their poopies out! bleah..Is this normal--they all seem to be eating and drinking normally...help

Well, no, they cannot get cocci from eating medicated food. The medication inhibits thiamine absorption, I believe, but anyway it controls cocci, allowing them to develop a natural immunity.

I don't know the answer.

How about the feed? Any chance it had been wet or gotten moldy? Any clumps in it?

You could try giving just a little yogurt mixed in with the crumbles to help them develop normal intestinal flora.

Last edited by a moderator:
just plain yogurt? mixed with the food-like a mash? Ill have to go shopping all I have is key lime! My DD favorite...I'm worried and just changed their paper towels for the 3rd time today!!

are the droppings showing pink or red?
what color are they?

you're saying the poohs are "explosive"?
and foamy?
not normal.

any spilled feed that could have gotten damp and gone sour under the lights?

sometimes, a mistake can be made in the processing of feed..
I'd try getting a new bag..

the medicated feed can help them keep from getting cocci..
but sometimes they get it anyway..
are these chicks from different sources?
they might need to be treated for cocci..
any chance of being able to take a fecal sample to a vet for testing?
could be a bacteria..

are the brooders new?
how did you disinfect the brooders?

usually medicated feed has a maintenance dose of amprolium in it, but not really enough to treat a bout of it.
check the label ingredients.

Quote:
They are total slobs-so Im sure a mess of it gets wet under the brooder lights. I change them as soon as I get home from work and first thing in am...Im going to look for medication-there is no blood in the stools I check constantly...I've read about cocci 100 times on here never thinking I would have to worry because I clean them so much. Maybe if I put them on shavings early that would help from picking their poos to eat it?

Quote:
Plain is prefereable, of course, and yes, mixed with the food like a mash. Don't mix much of it up, and take it out after half an hour or so and toss.

Have you seen the poo chart often linked here?

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

As Sammi said, the explosive does not sound right, but runny in itself is not abnormal, esp. for young ones.

Let us know how it goes today.

Quote:
Plain is prefereable, of course, and yes, mixed with the food like a mash. Don't mix much of it up, and take it out after half an hour or so and toss.

Have you seen the poo chart often linked here?

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

As Sammi said, the explosive does not sound right, but runny in itself is not abnormal, esp. for young ones.

Let us know how it goes today.

OK that makes me feel better-yes I had seen the chart but hadnt had time this am to find it. Their poohs look like the kind that they say is expelled every 8-10 poohs--phew...either way Im buying plain yogurt today adn some medicine "just in case"...never can be too safe. Ive never had problems before and Im not going to let it happen now!! I hope...
hide.gif

Some experienced chicken keepers on here say you should give some plain yogurt regularly, to keep them healthy and resistant to minor illnesses.

Hmmm, need to pick some up today.....

Are you thinking of giving them some kind of medicine today?

Good luck!

Quote:
The plain ones containing lactobacillus acidophilus are best. You can also buy it as a powder (google probiotics) and sprinkle it in their feed or add to their water. Consider your water source as well, especially if there have been heavy rains in your area recently

And don't forget the garlic for worms!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom