Can chicks get depressed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sarahjor, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Sarahjor

Sarahjor Hatching

Jun 21, 2010
    We have only had our little chicks for 2 days and I am totally obsessed. We have 3, 2 of the same breed (barred rocks) and one different one (jersey giant). The jersey looks healthy and is eating but seems left out and kind of sad. The other 2 definitely hang out together and I'm wondering if the jersey girl needs another friend so she's not lonely? Can I get another chicken of a different breed (I really want a brown chicken) or should I get another jersey giant? Or am I totally over-thinking this?

2. MelissaA

MelissaA Songster

Dec 7, 2009
    Gaston, OR
    I think they can get depressed if they don't have a companion. They are definitely social animals. I had a group of cochins of random colors and noticed the ones of the same color bond together- I got two standard and 10 bantams. The two big girls did bond. If you do it I would do it sooner than later (or they may fight instead of bond).

3. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Songster

Jul 3, 2009
    I would say get another one. I did notice that birds of a feather flocked together. Same breeds were more friendly with eachother. I think the new one would like to be in with your 3rd wheel.

4. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Songster

i have 2 RIR chicks and 1 Black Star chick, and in my chicks it seems more like the Black star and one of the RIRs stick together, and the other RIR is sometimes by herself

5. NewHen

NewHen Songster

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I noticed with my recent hatch of leghorns, silkie, ameracauna and marans that they were self sorting in the brooder by breed that first week. Isn't that funny? I wish I had taken a photo since it was really striking that they were clustered by breed. They're no longer doing that...

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I was "informed" by my land-lady that I should never get chicks in odd numbers. [​IMG]

So, well, I don't...... I always round UP.

7. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Ah, you are traveling a slippery slope my friend. One more turns to six which turns to twelve...etc. You already admitted you're obsessed. By all means get another. She would be hollering her head off if she were truely lonesome. But I found that the ones that are loners will bond quickly with their owners. I have one from my last brood that would fly up to get to me from the moment we got her. She actually made the 24" at one week. Now if she sees me walk by she tries to leave the brooder and as soon as I lift the screen, she's on my shoulder.

We're all crazed here. Join us.....[​IMG]

By the way, [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  8. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Yes! Get another one like her. I was advised by our experienced chicken keeping friend to avoid singletons if at all possible.

9. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Songster

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    I read (in Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens (best chicken book ever, every chicken owner should have it)) that one of the ways chickens recognize each other is by sight and color.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  10. Sarahjor

Sarahjor Hatching

Jun 21, 2010
    Thanks for your help everyone!
    We decided to go ahead and get another chick yesterday, so now there are 2 of each breed. Not sure how the dynamics are going to work out between them all yet, but things do seem to be a bit less cliquey. However, I think the one that was originally left out is just gonna be kind of a loner because she still stands by herself sometimes, though not as much. I'm curious to see how things change as they get older!
    Now we just have to build a coop! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by