Can chicks go without a heat lamp..........

Yea that would be helpful too if u can....
[/IMG]

I used a huge rubbermaid tote for my brooder and got a clamp for the heat lamp, it just clips on the side of the brooder box and you can turn it wherever you need it to go.

It's best if you can heat one end of the brooder only. Give them a temperature variation from end to end. You can heat the whole brooder but must make sure it doesn't get too hot in it. Too much heat can be worse than too little. Also the cooler area will help them to feather so less time in the brooder.

1. Yes, you need a heat lamp. If you brood indoors, you do NOT need a 250 watt. I use 100 watt regular house light bulbs and brood in decent sized Rubbermaid tubs., Do not try to find a way to avoid using heat lamps unless you live in a 90 degree house. You will end up with dead chicks and wasted money.

2. Heat lamp safety is not very complex. Have nothing burn/meltable touching ANY part of the lamp/lamp guard and reflector. Have the bulb at least 12 inches away from the bedding. Use safe electric cords/extension cords. Make sure the bulb cannot slide/fall off onto any flammable surface, including into the brooder.

3. I feel a bit uncomfortable with advising you how to brood chicks at all, because I noticed in your previous pictures, you appear to keep several rooster in what appears to be a basement/garage with a string tying their leg to a pipe a VERY short distance away. This is not good chicken husbandry at all and makes me think you are keeping them for reasons that are not in the birds' best interest. :/

Back
Top Bottom