Can chicks have momentarily paralysis from fear?

Ash.M

Songster
Mar 17, 2018
We are raising our first group of chicks ever and one of our chicks, a blue Cochin, keeps having this weird momentary paralysis. It's happening at night when they are about ready to go to bed and we are cleaning out their brooding box to ensure there is no wet bedding and to get rid of most of the poo we see. It's happened to both me and my husband where we pick her up and she totally freezes with her legs out like they're paralyzed. Then when you try and set her back in the brooder her legs are still frozen for about 30 seconds to a minute then she stands up and seems just fine. Is this something we should be concerned about? Is this just happening because she's scared or is this a potential sign of something wrong? Thanks for any help you can give we are new at this and would really appreciate your expertise.

Yes, my polish chicks did this when I accidentally scared them. Then they darted away after like twenty seconds.
Just to be safe, keep an eye on it. If they start doing other strange behavioral things, like spinning circles nonstop, they could have neurological problems. But some chicks are just a little.. different ;)

Yes, my polish chicks did this when I accidentally scared them. Then they darted away after like twenty seconds.
Just to be safe, keep an eye on it. If they start doing other strange behavioral things, like spinning circles nonstop, they could have neurological problems. But some chicks are just a little.. different ;)

Thanks so much! I'm so glad someone else had seen this behavior. I will keep an eye out for other strange behavior as you suggested but hopefully she's just a bit of a scaredy chick when bedtime comes around :). Thanks again. I really appreciate your help!

Thanks so much! I'm so glad someone else had seen this behavior. I will keep an eye out for other strange behavior as you suggested but hopefully she's just a bit of a scaredy chick when bedtime comes around :). Thanks again. I really appreciate your help!
No problem! I wish I had signed up for this website when I first got chicks, it would have eliminated so much stress. Feel free to ask any questions you have, there's tons of intelligent people here! :jumpy
I think some chicks freeze as an instinct in hopes the "predator" won't see them, or loses interest. My Polish don't do it now that they've grown up, so hopefully your chick will grow out of it as well :)

:welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here !

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/)
It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/) Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

One last thing, if you're into gardening, feel free to join this years SEED SWAP (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-swap.1220129/)

Back
Top Bottom