Can Combs and Wattles Change Color Throughout the Day?

Dreammaker

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
MA
This is probably my newbie paranoia, but is it possible for chickens' combs and/or wattles to change color throughout the day? Specifically, the intensity of their redness.

I have a flock of 6, all ranging from 14-20 weeks. They are healthy and happy. I suspect my Light Brahma, Swedish Flower, and ISA Brown are closer to 18-20 weeks, as they're the rosiest of the bunch. Naturally, I've spent a lot of time looking at and admiring my birds. Sometimes, it looks like those three are quite red and I excitedly think "Oh, an egg is on its way!" :) Then, I'll look at them an hour or two later, and they're more of a raw salmon color. I'm told to look for almost blood red as a sign of impending eggs, so I think I need to be patient. Is this fluctuation of color normal? Am I seeing things? :p

P.S. Does the increased redness start from the earlobes and move up? My ISA Brown is getting very red (almost blood-colored) earlobes and it's creeping up towards her wattle. But her comb is still pale and small.

Yes, the color fluctuation is normal, especially in young pullets. They'll drive you crazy like that. :gig
Older hens do it too. Actually, one of my hens has very extreme color changes. She can be extremely pale, almost white, and then turn bright red within a minute or two.
Wow! Learn something new every day... Glad I'm not just seeing things!

When yours finally came into lay, was the color change very gradual or did it happen seemingly overnight? I had no idea what all the fuss was about with waiting for the first egg, but now I'm "that person" driving myself crazy with anticipation. :)

Wow! Learn something new every day... Glad I'm not just seeing things!

When yours finally came into lay, was the color change very gradual or did it happen seemingly overnight? I had no idea what all the fuss was about with waiting for the first egg, but now I'm "that person" driving myself crazy with anticipation. :)
It was kind of gradual, but then became fully red suddenly. Idk if that makes sense.

Some fluctuation can be normal - bright red indicates being in lay or being close to lay. They will be paler when off the lay in general.

Heavy paling around lay time (of day) can be eggbinding, but there are other signs associated with that as well, like squatting, tail tucked etc...

Signs of trouble would be if they are pale and lethargic for an extended period of time, it could be from anemia. - check for worms/mites particularly red mite, which live in the roosts and come out at night

Blue is an indication of poor blood oxygen circulation. Check for signs of respiratory infection (wet nares)or breathing issues.

And black - frostbite or tissue death.

All of these would mean a critical bird that needs some medical assistance.

My pullet Dolly's face, comb and wattles turn white when she is nesting/laying an egg, but is a bright vivid red otherwise, though paler when resting and sleeping. Jeremy, a cockerel's comb has it's points turn black at night or when at rest, but they turn bright red again when awake and active.

Back
Top Bottom