Can coturnix be kept in a big group if the hen : Rooster ratio is correct?

speng5

Chirping
Mar 6, 2024
I guess I've not seen this discussed, but supposing I meet the space requirements for them, could 16-18 birds be housed communally? Lets say the ratio was at 5 hens to one rooster? Or would they be better served in 3 separate 1:5 pens?

Are you wanting say 15 females and 3 males??

There really isnt an exact science to it all.. i mean i have WAY WAY to many males mixed in with my bobwhites but there are enought females to go around so it makes kinda easier for them not to get over mated. I think if they have a big enough run to escape and places to hide they should be fine.

It depends on the personalities of the birds involved. Make sure they have plenty of hiding places and you'll have a better chance of success.

I keep mine in 20 square foot pens with 10 hens and 2 roos. Most of the time it works, but sometimes a male just doesn't want anyone else in his territory and it gets bloody. The violent one gets culled and another put in his place.

I keep my covey communally. Roos can have different personalities as Nabiki said, so it's not guaranteed that you'll have a peaceful flock, but it's possible. I've kept 3 roos with 18 hens for a bit during this spring and everything remained peaceful, no hens were harassed or overbred, but it was only for about a month. I've since separated some of the birds because we're giving them to a family member (not because they had any behavioral issues, but I'm mentioning this because it wasn't for super long). I've had two roos coexist peacefully for months, though.

It depends on the personalities of the birds involved. Make sure they have plenty of hiding places and you'll have a better chance of success.

I keep mine in 20 square foot pens with 10 hens and 2 roos. Most of the time it works, but sometimes a male just doesn't want anyone else in his territory and it gets bloody. The violent one gets culled and another put in his place.
And sometimes, there's one super hot sexy hen that every male must conquer while the others hens are largely ignored. Then you have a different problem.

Back
Top Bottom