Can dairy goats eat oatlage?

MamaPoult

🎶As soon as I get out here on the outskirts🎶
Premium Feather Member
Jan 20, 2024
The Woods AK
Hey everyone! I have two does right now they are 75% nigerian dwarf and the rest nubian. I'm wondering if I could feed them oatlage and timothy instead on alfalfa and timothy and get the same milk production? I can't find anything on the internet and I dont really trust their information that much anyway. Oatlage is a lot cheaper where I live🐐🐐. Thank you all in advance!

Attachments

• 20230915_180357.jpg
    20230915_180357.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Attachment.jpg
    Attachment.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 4
I'm assuming oatlage is silage made out of oats? I personally would never feed any sort of silage to goats or sheep. I lost a sheep that ate some moldy silage and she didn't make it. Goats are more sensitive to moldy feeds, and there's always a risk of mold in any silage.

I'm assuming oatlage is silage made out of oats? I personally would never feed any sort of silage to goats or sheep. I lost a sheep that ate some moldy silage and she didn't make it. Goats are more sensitive to moldy feeds, and there's always a risk of mold in any silage.

Oh man I'm sorry you lost a sheep😥! It looks like it is silage. Thank you for responding!! I figured it wouldn't be a good option anyways, just trying to save some cash🐐🐐. Thanks again!!

I fed my goats corn silage for a couple years. The only problem I had with it was convincing them it was edible in the first place. I had a friend who had a commercial goat dairy, and he fed his goats silage. I have heard of goats getting listeria from improperly put up silage but I don't know how common that is.

I fed my goats corn silage for a couple years. The only problem I had with it was convincing them it was edible in the first place. I had a friend who had a commercial goat dairy, and he fed his goats silage. I have heard of goats getting listeria from improperly put up silage but I don't know how common that is.
Ok thank you for the reply! This help me a lot!😊

Hi!
We raise Barbados blackbelly sheep in Northern Illinois. We mainly feed grass hay, and then corn and soybean meal. We will give our ewes grain prior to lambing and then while they are nursing. These sheep are not known for being the “fattest,” but they do well on these foods. We tried corn silage once and never did it again- too gassy for them and led to bloat in one of our ewes. If you give any silage a try, I say do so in very small amounts. Maybe weaning them into it would help. Happy Farming! :)

Hey, thanks a lot for the info! It appears that the general oppinion is that it would not be great for our girlies. Thanks for the reply😁😁

Back
Top Bottom