Can Diet affect egg taste?

Gamble

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has any direct experience in this area. If my hens eat too many flax seeds for instance, will the eggs taste bad? I know its an inexact science but if there is a way to help the eggs taste better I'de love to benefit from your experience, thanks in advance!

We have six hens all born May 16th. We are expecting eggs around the 15th of oct! They are so far confined to a coop and large run.

Ive heard that free range chickens have the best tasting eggs but we have a lot of preds and so haven't yet gotten up the courage to let them out unsupervised.

thanks!

A couple of days ago, someone posted that their chickens ate mint and the eggs tasted like mint! I guess it would depend a lot on the flavor...somethings may complement the flavor of eggs while other things may not! Only one of mine is laying so I can't report from first hand experience. My girls did eat every pepper off my Thai Chile plant this summer, but none of them were laying yet. I would love to know if the eggs would have been spicy.

I can't imagine flax seeds making eggs taste different. Pungent things like lots of garlic and onions do affect flavor. I would think flax see would add a lot of great nutrients to the eggs. I know this.... overabundance of blackberries cause black poop.
tongue2.gif

You can put garlic granules in their drinking water or mixed with their to boost their immunes and it will come out in the flavour of the eggs. Also if their feed has any fish component your eggs can taste a little fishy.

Most other stuff I feed ours leaves no taint in the egg flavour.

How interesting. hubby and I were just talking about this tonight. We are getting our first eggs from our eight dark cornish hens. We feed whole grains and free range on grass. I throw in a few apples as well.
ep.gif

Storing eggs with strong smelling fruit, flowers and vegetables can cause the eggs to pick up an off taste.

Imp

yes it affects it dramtcly my hens got intot he dog food and wow their eggs tasted like dog food lol let them eat their normal diet no meat coz the eggs are gross and interesting fact if u feed the hen beetroot constantly her yolks will be blood red lol

yes it affects it dramtcly my hens got intot he dog food and wow their eggs tasted like dog food lol let them eat their normal diet no meat coz the eggs are gross and interesting fact if u feed the hen beetroot constantly her yolks will be blood red lol

Back
Top Bottom