can different breeds be kept together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by onecent, Apr 25, 2008.

1. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

i have a big RIR roo, 2 white leghorns hens, & 2 cornish x hens, i just got 4 silkies & a mystery chick (all those are bantam chicks) can they be put together , when they are old enough of course, and if they can, what would be the right age to do so?[​IMG]

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep, they can all be put together. Generally you want to wait until they are relatively all the same size.

3. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Until we got the Buff Orp chicks we had no two alike [​IMG]

4. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

ok, thanks!! so i dont have to worry about my big roo hurting the silkies or the mystery chick? the babies are only a week & a few days old, i have a smaller separate pen to put them in when they come out of the brooder, ill keep them in there till they are old enough to go in with the other ones.[​IMG]

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My friend says that her silkies are picked on ALOT by her leghorns [​IMG] I would watch them.

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Silkies are kind of weird sometimes. I've never had an issue with them, but they are more vulnerable to picking. If they can see, they should be fine. Just watch that the rooster doesn't give them bare backs from over mating, but I think you should be fine mixing them all together. I have had OEGBs in with HUGE turken roosters and never had an issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by