can different breeds of quail mate each other?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by stone_family3, Mar 7, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I was given 4 quail eggs of unknown breeds. If they hatch I want to keep them together. Would there be any problems with that.

2. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

if they are the same "breed" then no problem - ie silver coturnix plus brown coturnix plus white coturnix, all different breeds of the same species. But if by "breeds" you mean "species", then no - species should be kept separate and most of the time do not interbreed. Good way to check is if all the eggs are speckled, they are all coturnix regardless of what breed. If the eggs are white, they are likely bobwhite eggs with a slight possibility of them being californias/gambels/etc. All the bobwhite breeds can be housed together and all the coturnix breeds can be housed together and can mate and produce fertile eggs, but bobwhites and coturnix shouldn't live together. I have done it before but it's risky, I would not reccomend it. What colour are your eggs?

1 person likes this.
  3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Creamy tan with chocolate spots

4. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

yep they're all coturnix eggs - all from the same species so regardless of what colour they turn out to be, they can live together and breed and make fertile offspring.

6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Awesome. I hope they all hatch and they aren't all males.

7. gingarmeg

gingarmeg New Egg

Jul 20, 2015
    Hi I've got two male king quails I'm gonna get mates for them but evry time I look up online king quails the colours are white and gingar as well so I'm just wondering can they have more then just one colour

8. gingarmeg

gingarmeg New Egg

Jul 20, 2015
    If any one from nsw Australia dubbo or some were close there and have king quail female please tell

I want quail chicks (00)

9. lollolol

lollolol New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    can coturnix quail breed with a red tuxedo private message me

10. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    Tuxedo quail ARE coturnix so, yes they can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by