Can Dogs Have Oreos?

Not all dogs will react to chocolate as violently as some can. However, the ones that are sensitive to theobromide are REALLY sensitive to it. My friend's poodle got into a bag of Hershey Kisses and ate about a dozen of them, Three weeks and several thousand dollars later he finally recovered enough to live another 5 years, but he always had a neurological deficit from the incident. From my perspective, there are too many other treats for my dogs to risk the dangers of chocolate in any quantity or quality.

Quote:
Exactly!
lol.png

Quote:
ep.gif
Beg to differ on that.
The head Vet tech where I worked knew more than the vet did and she (vet) even said so.

Not all of them are but majority I've visited in several big towns are poorly informed or not up to date.

Even one said I could not vaccinate my own animals. I asked her why, she said I would kill my animals. Well so would YOU! It's a risk and I do have experience in vaccinating so my vet schooling didn't go to waste. She didn't speak to me and I didn't go back to her either.

I'm happy with my vet and they don't mind me vaccinating my own animals. Not every one can do it.

Not to echo many others, but a small amount of chocolate is not usually fatal, or even dangerous, in most dogs. Some can have serious reactions. The type of chocolate does matter and how sensitive the particular dog is.

If you WANT to feed chocolate, use Carob, which is safe for dogs. They even make a "chocolate" cookie just for dogs with carob that look JUST like Oreos.

But chocolate CAN be dangerous. Although I have 2 dogs get into some chocolate and have no ill effects (Hershey's Kisses and EL Fudgesticks), another one had a serious GI upset and pancreatitis (fudge).

I would not want to give a treat that COULD be fatal to my dog. Give them something that won't harm them even in large amounts, in case they get into the bag when you are not looking, as they sometimes do. Mine would rather have a Greenie than a cookie any day. IF they get too many of those, they just poop loose green for a couple of days.

Did they poop out neon green?
lol.png

I did hear about using carob for dog treats by the Barkery which specializes in dog treats. It smelled so good, dogs even love them!

Back
Top Bottom