1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can Dogs Have Oreos?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BookWorm243, Aug 29, 2011.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    We recently brought a Great Pyrenees into our home and we were told that Oreos make a great treat for them [​IMG] I was reading online about this and some sites that talk about Pyrenees say that Oreas do make a great treat. So we went and got a bag of those mini oreos to see if it would help as she is scared of everything, including her own shadow [​IMG] But should she really have them?

Thanks!

2. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Dogs shouldnt have very much if any sugar.....but as a treat it wont hurt as long as you keep her active. Mine maul me for sweets LOL!

3. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Coa coa the stuff that is in chocolate is in the cookie part of oreo's if you have already done it and your dogs OK don't worry now. But don't do it again because coa coa is poisonous to dogs and is bad for the heart and oreo's are very far from a dogs natural diet. They are bad enough for us. And the high simple carbohydrate count in oreo's can cause fatty deposits around the dogs heart. Other words bad in so many ways.... at least go find a treat that is manufactured for dogs. Get some Purina bacon strips, I've NEVER found a dog that doesn't like em. I use them all the time to trick my dogs into going up in the kennel. Without em I would be stuck picking up a 90lb dog. Anyways take care of your pooch! No more oreo's or chocolate products EVER
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  4. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    I agree with Roosterfry! No chocolate for dogs...or onion or grapes or cooked turkey skin

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Agree, no chocolate for dogs, it's bad for them.

6. ChickyLove

ChickyLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Springfield, MA.
    Definitely agree with no more chocolate, but I do know that my Aunt's dog would go NUTS for carrots dipped in peanut butter!

...and my cat ate my last fudge round this morning. I found the wrapper gooey and sopping wet from where he slobbered and chewed it. Might not be a bad idea to keep chocolate away from cats too!

7. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    No dogs should not have oreos, neither should people, they're processed foods, and bad for you! You want to get your dog excited for treats, cook up some liver or meat and feed them that!

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Why no cooked turkey skin??

9. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    When we first got our puppy, he got a hold of an entire bag of Hershey kisses.
    Ate the whole thing!

I RUSHED him to the vet, freaking out an crying because of course everyone knows chocolate is poisonous for doggies.

The vet actually sat me down and told me to relax. She said that while coco is poisonous to dogs, unless they are eating that 75% dark chocolate stuff, most chocolate is so diluted that it has no effect on the dog. Even after eating an entire bag of milk chocolate there was no Ill effect. You'd have to check the coco percentage on those Oreos but I'd be willing to bet that they are fine in moderation.

10. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Quote:Well when speaking about moderation I could go eat dirt in moderation. Doesn't mean I should.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by