Can ducklings learn to fly by themselves?

Looks like Pekin and Swedish. Swedish are heavier breed too so no flying far. You really don’t want them to fly many have lost their duck when they flew off.

Last edited:
I have a Pekin , Swedish , khaki Campbell and a mix of Pekin x khaki
My Pekin gets a few feet off the ground and can go a few feet forward ( Pekins aren’t really flying birds but my girl is on the smaller side of Pekin
My khaki has one angel wing so he can’t get far
Their offspring can get higher and go further but never leave my yard of 5 foot fence.
My Swedish have not tried to fly at all
They are only 7 weeks but they are huge
Bigger then my other ducks already
The offspring actually taught my adults to fly. They will
Fly when getting outside and now daisy and peep do it too
Never far just excited to get outside after a night in the house

My son and I have 6 pekins. One, a small crested pekin female can, and does, fly the length of the back yard when she wants to get somewhere [usually mealworms] before the others. But she can't get any altitude: she flies at 2-3 feet above the ground. Her clutch mate, a full size pekin female, surprised me a couple of weeks ago by flying out of her coop when the top was open. She flew she didn't jump, but the motivation was food I was preparing which she assumed contained mealworms. Again she flew over the side of the coop which is 2' high and continued across the garden but didn't gain height. She hasn't to my knowledge flown before [she is 15 months old.] My 3 pekin drakes can only fly downhill off the top step onto the patio!
In contrast, we had to clip the wings of a female muscovy as she kept getting out of the garden or flying up into a cherry tree. I thought at one time that I would have to clip the wings of one of my muscovy drakes as he flies up to my side gate. But he hasn't once made off and I don't think he will, so his flight feathers are intact. My other muscovy drake is a great fat lump who ought to be able to fly [all three of my muscovy were wild born and rescued] but can't!

In contrast, earlier this year a local wildlife rehabber and I released 4 muscovy -- one drake and three females -- that were about 12 weeks old and had not seen the sky or a lake previously. They had been rescued at a few days old and were brooded in the rehabber's house and hten lived in her screened porch until we identified the private lake that was suitable for release on. One of the females immediately flew high up into the air when she was let out of her carrier, but came back down to her friends. All 4 were reluctant to get onto the water, but did slowly with encouragement and then splashed with great joy for a long time. Within 24 hours, those 4 were flying up and down the lake, making friends with householders whose homes backed onto the lake.

Back
Top Bottom