Can ducks be fed just scratch if they free range all day?

My ducks and chickens free range 24/7. When I throw scratch for the chickens, the ducks also help themselves. And when I throw horse and mule sweet feed, they all get in there and scrarf-up. And it's cheaper. I pay $6.95 for a 50# bag of horse seet feed. So far I seem to have very and chunky chickens and ducks.

I know that did't answer your question, but that's what I feed.

Tony

Wow, didn't know that...We tried the pellets once(mixed it) and they ate all the scratch and left the pellets so we stopped...Guess we need to reintegrate it...

Even though it does not have everything they need I do just give my free ranging ducks scratch in the summer and they do just fine. They rarely even eat much of it as they are getting what they need from the grass, bugs and such free ranging. In the winter I do switch them over to regular feed as there is not as much available to them while ranging.

The reason they eat the scratch before the pellets is because its a filler its like crack candy for poultry - lol seriously. they'll ALWAYS eat it first. What kid isn't going to eat a piece of cake before their vegetable if given a choice? - lol.

scratch also raises body temp higher and its best as a treat or snack in summer and a bigger part of diet in winter when they need the extra body heat generated.

Just throw out pellets in the AM and then scratch in the PM i would say. I would figure they'll eat what they need and be good if they are free ranging. but pellets give them the boost of protein and calcium they need.
smile.png

i let my ducks free range all day
what i do is i cook my scratch like rice and add in other things like potato peelings, banana peelings, etc. sometimes i'll even boil some leftover fish and then add in the scratch and they eat that stuff like there's no tomorrow. i just give them all my leftovers + scratch + free-range and they're perfectly fine.

Back
Top Bottom