Can ducks be kept with chickens and question on duck noise level

fiddleblue

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
I have kept chickens for several years, and was wondering if it is possible to keep a duck in the coop with the chickens. Are they able to live together? Also, (if they can), I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what to expect regarding duck noise level...the coop is pretty close to a bedroom in the house and I wouldn't want someone to be hearing loud quack quacks all day. If ducks can't live with chickens, are there any other domestic fowl that can live with chickens? Eg, pheasants?

Also, I was thinking of getting just ONE duck. Would that work or do they need company of at least one other duck?

I would get at least 2 ducks for company. However do not get a drake or if you do keep the ducks and chickens separate as drakes can kill chickens when they try to mate with them. Also I have Muscovy Ducks and they don't Quack so are very Quiet.

Thanks, that is very helpful to know about the drakes being a danger to chickens, and about Muscovy ducks being quiet. It sounds like that would be the perfect breed to get if I did want to get 2 ducks.

Glad I could help.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom