can ducks get west nile?

greenjean

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 31, 2012
my female started acting funny yesterday, drunk-like, and listless, seemed to not be able to walk right or support herself right , while trying to walk, any advice, been reading about low niacin levels and brewers yeast, how & why?

Pigeons can and chickens can crows, hawks, owls, and songbirds can so I will make an '***'umption that ducks can also. Perhaps someone knows for sure?

Since it is a virus, I believe that the only treatment you can provide is supportive - electrolytes in the water vitamins in the feed. West Nile was very bad around her several years ago to the point that it wiped out almost all of the crows and scores of songbirds. I lost several pigeons from what appeared to be West Nile. The symptomatic birds that survived had permanent neurological problems. Again, hopefully someone has more knowledge of this disease than me.

The symptoms also match up with botulism. It is also called limber neck. Many people have been able to help their ducks survive by flushing their digestive systems and making sure they have a quiet safe place with loads of fresh water and good food. Some have also used activated charcoal (not briquettes, but the food quality supplement) to absorb toxins in the gut.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

If it is a virus, Sourland has the good advice there. There are antiviral herbs, but I know nothing about how helpful or toxic those might be for ducks.

thanks, gonna try some brewers yeast to increase her niacin levels also, how much per gallon of water?

Also add a handful of some turkey feed in their bowel, it is very high in niacin and an excellent additive for baby ducks. But just a bit, as it all turkey feed would be too high.

Here's the link about West Nile: http://www.scdhec.gov/environment/envhealth/pests/mosquitoes-wnv.htm

"Some Types of Birds Die Quickly from WNV
Certain birds, including American crows, blue jays, magpies, ravens, house finches, and house sparrows, can more easily infect mosquitoes with West Nile Virus than other birds.
Crows and blue jays usually die within about one week of being infected, so they are useful as early indicators for WNV (Emerging Infectious Diseases 9(3): 311-322).
Songbirds, shorebirds, owls, and hawks can also develop high enough levels of virus to infect most feeding mosquitoes.
West Nile virus rarely causes death in house sparrows, cardinals, catbirds, mourning doves, and rock doves. Pigeons, woodpeckers, and ducks do not develop sufficient levels of virus to infect most feeding mosquitoes."

Back
Top Bottom