Can ducks live on a pond?

Goat Lover 3

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
I have three Pekins and three Anconas. They are all 6 weeks old. We realized that they poop a lot! So, I have to find four of them a good home.
sad.png
We know someone that has a pond with wild mallards, the raccoons are thick, and lots of wild life. The raccoons are being well feed with dog food though! Can my pet ducks live on a pond? Their are no snapping turtles! Should they be locked up in a box at night? Would they breed with the wild ducks?

I know these are a lot of questions but I want my ducks to be safe and happy.
smile.png

They would deff need to be locked up at night especially with raccoons they are very dangerous animals. They would be able to breed with the wild ducks but I know that its not good for them to. I can't remember where I read that on here. Something to do with what the offspring would turn out to be. I'm thinking that it could of been something like it could give a wild duck domestic traits which is not good. Someone can probably explain that better. A pond is OK for them but they have to be put away at night and if not you probably would lose a duck. Hope this sorta helps

They would definitely need shelter at night. The raccoons may be well fed, but a domestic duck can be an easy target. One thing to consider is that not all ducks get along right away, and the wild ducks may not be happy about the "invasion". If you wanted to disclose where you are located, maybe we could help find a home for the extras if need be. :)

Thank you all very much! Are my ducks old enough to swim on a pond since they weren't raised by their mother? I saw something on the Internet that said ducklings should not be on a pond until they are 8 weeks old if they weren't raised by their mother, because they don't have some oil gland yet? Also, can they be feed cracked corn?

Thank you all very much! Are my ducks old enough to swim on a pond since they weren't raised by their mother? I saw something on the Internet that said ducklings should not be on a pond until they are 8 weeks old if they weren't raised by their mother, because they don't have some oil gland yet? Also, can they be feed cracked corn?
8 weeks sounds about right. It's when they're fully-feathered. Mine are almost there at six weeks.
Not sure about the corn...

Whenever they are feathered is fine to be on a pond. :)

Corn can be fed, but there is very little nutritional value. Even as a treat, most of us avoid it.

They can eat the corn at a month old. However I advise to at least mix it with a different duck feed, flock raiser, or something along the lines of that just to help give them more nutrients. Not sure if that's what your plan was or not.

Corn is not a complete feed, people do it but i wouldn't and won't recommend it. As for the pond, real tricky to let loose barely grown ducks on a pond well taken over by wild ducks it is not necessarily going to go well, ducks can be Territorial. They would definitely have to be locked up at night, domestic ducks are not like wild ducks, i cannot stress that enough.

There is a guy around here who tosses ducks/geese on a pond every year with little more than a floating shoe box, funny enough he never has the same ones each year??
hmm.png

Last edited:
I think we have some people that will take the ducks! Thank you ALL very, very much!!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
not sure about ducks but whole corn is better for chickens and if they are free ranging and they are worth anything they will get enough food and nutrients on their own we give ours whole corn and the birds we have in pins we feed 1/2 layer feed 1/2 scratch and corn
who knows ducks are odd and they poop everywhere they do not handle a pin as well as chickens (by that i mean they destroy everything and if they cant break it they poop all over it)
PS: all my chickens are Game or leghorns so they are all excellent free range breeds

Back
Top Bottom