Can ducks suffer from separation anxiety?

daphnelovely

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2016
We had 5 ducks (about 3 months old) that were attacked a week ago yesterday, we think by raccoons. We had 2 survivors. One as been doing all of her normal daily activities and seems completely fine. The other has not been moving around much, not eating as much, i havent seen her in their pool or preening and she is losing feathers. Can this be separation anxiety and if so is it a good idea to introduce new ducks to make a new flock?

Did you make sure she wasn't injured? She might have some internal stuff going on.

But yes ducks can and do mourn. She could also be dealing with the trauma of the attack.

@lomine Thank you so much for your reply :) Update: Turns out she is a he ( Bailey) and he is doing great. Took him to the vet and did see where he had an injury on his neck from being bit. Wr got a large dog crate with a separator to put them both in so he could be on antibiotics in his water at night. Full recovery and happy duck :)

Sounds great that he is doing better.
My ducks can't ever be separated we separated them because he's was being rough and they just seemed very upset from being apart.

Maybe some new ducks to add would hep them feel even better, new friends.

Sounds great that he is doing better.
My ducks can't ever be separated we separated them because he's was being rough and they just seemed very upset from being apart.

Maybe some new ducks to add would hep them feel even better, new friends.

Thank you :) We did add new ducks about 3 weeks ago. I just wrote a short novel, i wanted to include as many details as possible, about one of the males being overly aggressive to my baby boy the past few days. It should post shortly :)

@lomine Thank you very much :) I wish I had done more research before starting bcuz it is definitely a learning process but so worth it :)

Back
Top Bottom