can egg color change?

greytmommy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
So 2 of my EE's have started laying as well as my Silver Cuckoo Maran. The EE eggs are blue-green color...but the shade keeps varying. Is that normal? Also my Maran eggs are like the color of hot chocolate...will they get darker? or stay this shade?

I just curious.
wink.png

Quote:
I would guess the eggs can vary from bird to bird in color, especially at the beginning. Though I've never had EE's so I'm not sure how much variation is normal.

On the Marans I'm not sure you'll get a super dark egg from a Silver Cuckoo, I've always heard they lay a lighter egg than some like the Black Coppers Marans (I can't find the post on that now). You should check out the various threads on Marans in the breed section, I'm sure there's great discussion there.

I have five BCM's and their eggs range from medium brown with dark speckles to solid dark (although I've not gotten anything darker than a 6, maybe a 7). http://marans-club.chez-alice.fr/echllang.htm#echelle

Edit
to add, I'm also a cloth diapering, baby wearing mama! Although my nearly 40 lb 2 year old doesn't want up in the carrier much anymore... Have I seen you over at DS?

Last edited:
I am there! but I am more active at TBW.

My 3yo is about 27lbs and still wants to be carried every once in a while. But the ONLY thing that is comfortable for me is my Kinderpack. That is the God of BW big kids! She even makes a Preschool size!!!! I could were my older daughter in it when she was 6yo! She is not getting a bit to tall for me to easily carry her! lol.

I am SO EXCITED to do it again! We just found out I am having our first BOY!!!! I have alreay ordered some PUL in cute prints to make some CD covers, and planning on making a few AI2's as well. Also looking for some new "boy friendly" babycarriers and wraps. YAH!

Quote:
I thought I recopgnized your screen name, or some variation of it. Perhaps we've B/S/T'd at some point! I've haven't been on DS much since we started the chicken obsession this spring, but hop over for a browse occasionally. I've got a ton of diapers to list as well soon.

Congrats on the boy! I have a friend helping me make some new cloth diapers to fit my daughter, who has outgrown all her Larges and still shows little interest in PT'ing.

I have a BabyHawk I love in Dylan but my DD wants to walk on her own most of the time now, but honestly at nearly 40 lbs I'm not sure how long I could carry her! We do still use it if I'm trying to do a bunch of cooking and she's not feeling well and wants to be held and generally is in the way. Then she enjoys it, but not so much for walks anymore, so we've used it less than a dozen times.

Quote:
x2

The Marans sadly have a low chance of getting darker. Do not expect a Cuckoo Marans to lay very dark of an egg unless it is truly a French type Marans (feathered legs) The truly dark layers out there are colors like Black Copper.

Quote:
Depends on what is most important to you.

Prefolds or flats and covers are the most economical, but can require a learning curve and are not the easiest in a daycare setting

Fitteds and covers work for many, but are a 2 part process like prefolds

Pocket or All-In-One diapers are great for daycare providers or grandparents, they go on and off much like disposable diapers, but are more expensive per diaper

Here's a good site to get some ideas of the difference and what might work for your situation. Many people use a combination of types depending on the situation and their own preference.
http://allaboutclothdiapers.com/new-to-cloth-diapers/cloth-diaper-systems/

Also there is a great forum for all things diaper related and otherwise...
http://www.diaperswappers.com/

I prefer pocket diapers, they are great for daycare and my husband, since she spends a lot of time with both. If I were a stay at home mom I'd probably go more with the prefold and cover route when home and use the pockets when out and about.

Sorry if we hi-jacked your thread Erin! Always love a chance to share the CD love!

Last edited:
Quote:
Huh? Spray paint? I am sitting here picturing a hen w/ a can of graffitti paint, spraying away on a clutch of eggs..... I am guessing that is NOT what you mean!!!
lol.png

Quote:
Depends on what is most important to you.

Prefolds or flats and covers are the most economical, but can require a learning curve and are not the easiest in a daycare setting

Fitteds and covers work for many, but are a 2 part process like prefolds

Pocket or All-In-One diapers are great for daycare providers or grandparents, they go on and off much like disposable diapers, but are more expensive per diaper

Here's a good site to get some ideas of the difference and what might work for your situation. Many people use a combination of types depending on the situation and their own preference.
http://allaboutclothdiapers.com/new-to-cloth-diapers/cloth-diaper-systems/

Also there is a great forum for all things diaper related and otherwise...
http://www.diaperswappers.com/

I prefer pocket diapers, they are great for daycare and my husband, since she spends a lot of time with both. If I were a stay at home mom I'd probably go more with the prefold and cover route when home and use the pockets when out and about.

Sorry if we hi-jacked your thread Erin! Always love a chance to share the CD love!

I also agree! A website called Jillian's Drawers (you can google it) has a "Try It!" package! you get a bunch of different kinds w/ a payment, and you send back what doesnt work for you and keep what you like! then they only charge you for what you keep. It is a great way to figure out if you like Pockets, All in Ones, prefolds and covers or fitteds and covers.

I personally, am a prefold and cover gal. My kids are all CRAZY skinny...so I need absorption around the legs or I have leaks. Pockets, all in ones, have just absorption down the middle. Usually not a problem for they chunckier baby. I also like my dipes to be easy care. So I love that my prefolds get washed in super hot water, w/ some bleach, and all is done! And if I ruin one it is only $2 to replace it. Where are your "nicer" diapers are easier...but you want to take more care to not ruin them. I tend to keep a few "easy" diapers around for babysitters and if we are doing an outing for the day since they are easier.

Back
Top Bottom