Can eggs shrink wrap under a hen?

JessicaDotta

Songster
Oct 27, 2020
Millie is hatching her first clutch. When I checked under her, I found the first chick and saw two pipped eggs. Did I hurt the pipped eggs under her? I know in an incubator, I would be concerned about shrink-wrapping the chicks.

If there's a concern, I do have her eggs numbered, and I can start tracking them.

Here's her first chick:

FirstHatchedChick:Chicken.png

Last edited:
Glad your broody had a 100% sucessful hatch, & congratulations on her cute little chicks. Want to answer your question for those who may see this thread in the future. Yes, eggs Can shrinkwrap under a broody hen. Ive had it happen a few times, but only when the outside temperature was extremely hot & dry. (Near 100 degrees fahrenheit). After a few hot summer hatches, i realized what was happening, was able to help the chicks finish unzipping, & have never lost another chick.

This sadly happened to me this am under a broody hen . The chick got its beak out and then died clearly shrink wrapped
Same - when I checked, the baby had died and half of its body was shrink wrapped. I think she got off the hatching egg, ran outside for a poop, and came back too late. She was sitting on it when I checked but it was clearly dead but still warm and floppy.

Back
Top Bottom