Can eggs sit in the heat all day

polk county

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 20, 2009
My chickens just started laying. I leave for work by 7:30am. Some of my chickens lay late morning.
Here in Florida the temperature in the shade is often in the 90's. Will the eggs still be good when I get home at 4:00pm.
If not, what should I do about this problem?
Thanks

Last edited:
I'm not an expert. That's my disclaimer.

Here is my experience.

I had a hen who laid 7 eggs outside during the Texas summer before i found them. The temperatures were 80-90 degrees. When i found them, i did the water test with them to see if they had gone bad (if they float, they have gone bad is what i read). None of them were bad, and i ate all of them, and they all tasted great, and i suffered no ill effects.

Have you ever come home to cooked eggs? We get up to 115 in the afternoon in July and August.

Actually, all of ours have been OK.... I gather at Noon and then again around 4PM.

I think the general public is under the impression that eggs are a lot more prone to going bad than they really are. I love that your wife is letting you eat them. You're the guinea pig.
lol.png

Well, it's not 90, but it is consistently 70+ with some 80 and 90 degree days here in the summer and I am not home everyday to pick up eggs as they're laid. We've always eaten them just the same as any other and never had a problem. I don't know anyone that tosses them out -- summer, after all, is many hens' most productive laying time and in this day and age most people aren't home to pick up eggs as soon as they hit the nest box.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom