Texas Heat Effecting Egg Laying

Jan 16, 2021
Kempner Texas
We live in Kempner Tx and have 23 laying hens and 4 laying ducks. We was getting eggs eggs day but now we are down to a couple of chicken eggs a day and no duck eggs. Is it just us or is this 100+ heat effecting everyones eggs?? They get plenty of water, shade, and feed. Now our quail are in a large walk in coop and they are still laying as normal.

The weather is a large factor in poultrys over all behavior. Egg production, weight loss, etc. Stress makes my birds act differently and get out of routine. But yes my female ducks aren't producing not even 1 egg a day that i can find. It's SOOOO HOT.
We did expect our ducks to stop once it got too warm for they did do that too last yr. We just didnt remember almost all our chickens coming to a stop. We have the 23 hens I mentioned and also another 20 young hens that will or should be laying by fall. 🙏 We really depend on our eggs here. 😋

We did expect our ducks to stop once it got too warm for they did do that too last yr. We just didnt remember almost all our chickens coming to a stop. We have the 23 hens I mentioned and also another 20 young hens that will or should be laying by fall. 🙏 We really depend on our eggs here. 😋
O my. So wish I had that many hens...we have a sly fox. Omy. So what do u do with ur eggs? Hatch? Eat? Ur soo lucky!

O my. So wish I had that many hens...we have a sly fox. Omy. So what do u do with ur eggs? Hatch? Eat? Ur soo lucky!
We sell chicken, quail, Guinea and duck eggs when we have them. Plus we eat and freeze alot of eggs too. As well as make pickled eggs to sell now and then. We do incubate our own eggs once a yr as needed to build our flock back up for quail and chickens. Then then old chickens and quail go into the freezer. We also raise rabbits for meat here. 😋

Wow....whole operation. I raise button quail for "pets". They are my song birds. I raise countrix for meat. Also have ducks, turkeys, and guineas. Guineas are guard dogs...somewhat. Slaughter roosters when they get "outta" hand. My family does "wild" holidays. Quail. Turkey. duck. Deer. Even soft shelled turtle. I know gross. Right?

We too live in Texas and had the same experience but things haven't improved. It's been a month since the extreme heat ended and we're still getting 3 eggs per day out of 30 hens. Does it take this long to recovery?

Back
Top Bottom