Can feathers go into the COMPOST with my chicken poop?????

If I put chicken feathers in my compost pile, and then if my chickens while free ranging, pick through my compost pile, is that a problem? Will they eat the feathers or more importantly is there a problem with them eating feathers?

Hey everyone!

Strange question...and I wasn't sure where exactly to put it.  But here's my question:  what happens to chicken feathers in the compost?  Do they break down eventually?  Or do they just get soggy? 

My situation is this:  I have drop-boards so collecting pure chicken poop is pretty easy.  I dump the droppings straight into a tumbling composter.  Lots of little fluffy downy feathers (and some big ones) stick to the poop and get tossed in the compost.  It's gross and too time-consuming to pluck each feather out of the poop...so what happens to them?  Is it bad to put feathers in the compost??

It can all go into the composter, and it will give you a nice additive to your finished compost.

If I put chicken feathers in my compost pile, and then if my chickens while free ranging, pick through my compost pile, is that a problem? Will they eat the feathers or more importantly is there a problem with them eating feathers?

For some reason my Welsummers are fascinated by the feathers that they find. Every time they find a feather it's a "Chase Me Game".

There shouldn't be a problem.

I am growing out 29 meat birds and will be attempting to compost a lot of feathers come harvest time in a few weeks. does anyone have experience with composting large quantities of feathers? do they need to be broken up first? I was going to layer them with the manure, and figure that chicken droppings are so hot with nitrogen that with the right ratio maybe they would just break down. mainly I don't want them showing up in the garden.

I am growing out 29 meat birds and will be attempting to compost a lot of feathers come harvest time in a few weeks. does anyone have experience with composting large quantities of feathers? do they need to be broken up first? I was going to layer them with the manure, and figure that chicken droppings are so hot with nitrogen that with the right ratio maybe they would just break down. mainly I don't want them showing up in the garden.

A few years back I had a pullet die and I didn't have time to bury her as I was in a rush. I put her in one of my compost piles (deep enough that she wouldn't be dug out by a predator) and went on my way. Just recently, I needed to move my compost pile as I was having some trees removed and yard leveled - the only thing I cam across was a leg bone from her (this was almost 2 years mind you) although there was probably other bones in there somewhere. Regardless, feathers are completely fine for composting - most tend to think they improve the overall compost quality.

Hey everyone!

Strange question...and I wasn't sure where exactly to put it. But here's my question: what happens to chicken feathers in the compost? Do they break down eventually? Or do they just get soggy?

My situation is this: I have drop-boards so collecting pure chicken poop is pretty easy. I dump the droppings straight into a tumbling composter. Lots of little fluffy downy feathers (and some big ones) stick to the poop and get tossed in the compost. It's gross and too time-consuming to pluck each feather out of the poop...so what happens to them? Is it bad to put feathers in the compost??

I had the same question which is how I ended up on this thread. This is great news. I knew I could count on you all for an answer.

Back
Top Bottom