Can Feeding Clovers And Grass Make Your Chickens Stop Laying

bantamhen66

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 25, 2010
Kennedy, AL
Hello every one i am in AL. All my chickens have been laying great! I still feed the same feed as always. We are still having mild temps, but egg productions has went to almost none. There is one thing i have been doing different. Sense the grass is growing i have been gathering up mostly clovers, some grass, and feeding it to my chickens. They seam to love it, but egg production has gone way way down. Could this be why they have almost stopped laying? Thanks for any one that can help.

Amanda

How much are you feeding? If they are getting their fill on grass, than yes that should drop their production because grass just doesn't have the calories they need for egg development. Give them a couple of hand fulls as a treat but make sure they are eating their pellets.

So long as you are still offering their layer ration free choice them feeding them grass and clover should not negatively impact their laying. Perhaps for a day or two when you first start if they are not accustomed to getting green feed, but other than (maybe) that if anything it should improve their laying. I'd look for another reason for the sudden decrease.

They have been getting there pellets as usual. Some of the hens are getting old. Maybe that is the problem. Thanks to all who posted.

Back
Top Bottom