Can French Guineas reproduce naturally?

Most regular pearl grays are larger than the other colors anyway so they may not be French. I actually called Ideal one time and they told me the FG's had to be AI'd, but I suspect that, as in Jurassic Park, nature will find a way.

I ordered French Guinea eggs from a gentleman in Maryland advertising on Eggbid.com back in late April. Incubated them with a double order of mixed color regular size guineas from a lady in California off of Ebay. Experienced an overall 60% hatch on March 25 and now at 90+ days the French are way bigger than the others.
Won't know about reproducing or not for months to come.

humm, my big guineas may not be french guineas since I purchased them as keets from a feed store but they are bigger than my other pearls I hatched from purchased eggs. I do feed my birds pretty good so maybe they are just big from good food. I will admit that I have only 1 male in seven of these big guineas and I get at least 80% hatch on my eggs. I believe one hen is not getting bred. Hopefully a few more rooster come out of this years hatch....

I raised a bunch of them a couple of years ago. The guy in Pennsylania I purchased them from was emphatic that his reproduced naturally and he did not artificially inseminate. Others on here have stated that they are a hybrid and wont reproduce at all, I don't believe that to be true. I butchered most of mine and they were delicious, I did have one go broody, but the cock I had was a standard so changes the equation a bit I suppose, and I never saw him mate with any of the guinea so hmm. Oh and the one that did go broody hid and i couldnt find her for a while but when I did she had been taken by a predator and the eggs were eaten also, long way around the barn to say I dont Know but one breeder is emphatic that his strain has no problems

He did tell me that the cocks are the real problem in the pring in that they are not fertile until the temp gets quite warm. He indicated they have warm lit barns which is why I could by keets from him very early in the year.

We hatch a lot of Guineas from our Assorted Color Guineas each year and I nor my DW have EVER seen them mate...
hmm.png

We're not sure if they wait until dark to "Play around" or it is just so quick we miss it. Lol

David

I have a pair of French Guineas that I have never seen mate. However my rooster was very fond of Ms. Guinea for a while. He had his way with her many times thankfully she never went broody. She is too busy screaming buck wheat at everything that moves to sit!

Well I've decided I'm going to keep 10 of these and see what happens next Spring..
These will Free Range though unlike hte assorted color Guineas we have. They are kept in
to get the eggs.
Hopefully they will reproduce and if I'm lucky find where they lay their eggs.
hmm.png

David

Back
Top Bottom