Can get my duck to hatch eggs PROPERLY? (please help)

RoiKuro

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2021
I have a swedish blue that went broody 7 days ago. I candled the 8 eggs today and none of them had any development. I am convinced that they were fertile and the reason they didn't develop was because of the mom because i have seen them mate very often. She hisses and bites you when you come near so she definitely was broody but I don't think she was doing it the right way. When i wake up she will be sitting on the eggs but after 5pm she will get off and spend the night outside and when i touch the eggs they are cold. I haven't taken away the eggs yet but i don't think there is any point in keeping them now. she still gets on the eggs in the morning so is there any way i can get her to hatch eggs properly with new eggs? she is with 2 ducks and a drake. I hope someone can help because i was looking forward to ducklings.

You can't make her hatch them correctly. Sometimes they just don't know how to do it right. You could try again, but I don't know if it would work. How old is she?

I doubt you can make her hatch these eggs. Some will go broody but never really commit 100%. I'll tag some folks that have a lot of broody duck experience
@WVduckchick @FunnyfarmMidwest
Thanks for tagging me. :) :frow

OP:
Yeah I agree with Heather you really can’t “make” a duck go broody. If she isn’t sitting on the eggs at night then it is unlikely they will develop. Some broodies are just better than others. I had one call duck hatch out 5/7 eggs with no issues, and another one that had all sorts of problems. It really depends on the duck but I’m not sure that there’s anything you can do. I’m not sure what else to add so hopefully @WVduckchick will offer some advice. She has more experience and has given me a ton of help!

My guess would be that she doesn’t have enough eggs yet to actually start incubating them. She may spend some time on them to keep them fresh, but she probably wants more. My Swedish laid between 12-17 eggs before she would actually start incubating them.
Are more eggs being added to the nest? I would leave them until she starts sleeping on them overnight. When she does that, you’ll know she’s serious.

Back
Top Bottom