Can Guineas be sexed by their pubic bones?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Jeanette56, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Jeanette56

Jeanette56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2012
    Southwest Texas
    Once Guineas are full grown can they be sexed like chickens by checking the width between the pubic bones? In male chickens there is little or no space between the pubic bones but in hens there is between two-four fingers width between the pubic bones.

Thanks!

2. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

Haven't been able to hang on to one long enough one handed to try. if I take a hand off I have to guard my face from flapping wings. LOL

RobertH

3. Jeanette56

Jul 11, 2012
    Southwest Texas
    Yah! I hear you. I have one penned that I am pretty sure is female and I'm going to check her tonight OR at least try! :cd

4. KrisH

I think it is best to sex by the sound they make. two syllable = Female One = boy

RobertH

5. KrisH

Less dangerous too.

PS I have read DO NOT hold them upside down by the leggs like some people do chickens

RobertH

6. Jeanette56

Jul 11, 2012
    Southwest Texas
    I've read the same thing Robert. No worries there.
    There will be no Guineas harmed in the event of handling! :hugs
    I've got the calls worked out but when ten of them are going off at the same time it's hard to tell who is making which noise! LOL :barnie

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  7. KrisH

Yeah, wish I had a blow gun with tranquilizer darts. LOL just finished marking our pen of 17

Girls get Leg bands, Boys do not

RobertH

8. JLeigh

JLeigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    Here's what I just did: I separated each of my guineas from the rest of the flock and waited a couple of minutes. The female will make the two-syllable call if she's a female. Sometimes it can take a minute or two. (Turns out I have four females out of four guineas which is bad since I want to hatch next spring.) I don't know about vent sexing guineas as adults - but I just wait until there is either an egg or the call. I've never heard of anyone being able to tell by the width of the bones, but that doesn't mean it isn't done. There's a WHOLE LOT that I don't know! :).

9. Jeanette56

Jul 11, 2012
    Southwest Texas
    That is what I would like to do too Robert.
    Hence the reason for my question.

10. KrisH

We could probably spare a boy if you wanted coral blue. just trying to help

RobertH

just PM KrisH if interested

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by