Can Guineas be sexed by their pubic bones?

Jeanette56

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2012
Southwest Texas
Once Guineas are full grown can they be sexed like chickens by checking the width between the pubic bones? In male chickens there is little or no space between the pubic bones but in hens there is between two-four fingers width between the pubic bones.

Thanks!

Yah! I hear you. I have one penned that I am pretty sure is female and I'm going to check her tonight OR at least try! :cd

Haven't been able to hang on to one long enough one handed to try. if I take a hand off I have to guard my face from flapping wings. LOL

RobertH

I've read the same thing Robert. No worries there.
There will be no Guineas harmed in the event of handling! :hugs
I've got the calls worked out but when ten of them are going off at the same time it's hard to tell who is making which noise! LOL :barnie

Less dangerous too.

PS I have read DO NOT hold them upside down by the legs like some people do chickens

RobertH

Last edited:
I've read the same thing Robert. No worries there.
There will be no Guineas harmed in the event of handling!
hugs.gif

I've got the calls worked out but when ten of them are going off at the same time it's hard to tell who is making which noise! LOL
barnie.gif
Yeah, wish I had a blow gun with tranquilizer darts. LOL just finished marking our pen of 17

Girls get Leg bands, Boys do not

RobertH

Here's what I just did: I separated each of my guineas from the rest of the flock and waited a couple of minutes. The female will make the two-syllable call if she's a female. Sometimes it can take a minute or two. (Turns out I have four females out of four guineas which is bad since I want to hatch next spring.) I don't know about vent sexing guineas as adults - but I just wait until there is either an egg or the call. I've never heard of anyone being able to tell by the width of the bones, but that doesn't mean it isn't done. There's a WHOLE LOT that I don't know! :).

Here's what I just did: I separated each of my guineas from the rest of the flock and waited a couple of minutes. The female will make the two-syllable call if she's a female. Sometimes it can take a minute or two. (Turns out I have four females out of four guineas which is bad since I want to hatch next spring.) I don't know about vent sexing guineas as adults - but I just wait until there is either an egg or the call. I've never heard of anyone being able to tell by the width of the bones, but that doesn't mean it isn't done. There's a WHOLE LOT that I don't know! :).
We could probably spare a boy if you wanted coral blue. just trying to help

RobertH

just PM KrisH if interested

Back
Top Bottom