CAN HEN TURN INTO ROO?!?!?!

The leg colour change makes sense if she went from laying to a non-laying pseodo-rooster. When a chicken lays the yellow pigment is drawn out of the skin, starting with the cloaca and ending at the beak, so good laying hens turn from yellow to white.
I have a hen that turns semi-rooster every time she moults, and a little even when laying. She crows, mounts hens, and her comb even goes from being floppy to upright. Its pretty fascinating. But she never goes ALL the way over to a "he".
In your hen's case Id suspect she has actual damage to her ovary rather than a simple hormone fluctuation. It could be from infection, tumors or some other damage that may or may not be finished. So without direction she is swapping to default chicken which is rooster.

Hmm, I see you say those pictures are about a year and a half apart, but was that first picture also taken about 10 years ago? Because I just found it in a post from September 2010, and that person said it was an image they just found on the internet. 🤔

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkie-x-production-red-cross.398390/
Im going to play devil's advocate and say they probably just looked for a picture that looked like what she did look like. Most people don't take pictures of their run of the mill chickens, its only in hindsight they found a need for pictures.
But hens turning into the rooster phenotype isn't unheard of or impossible. And all yellow leg/beak/skin chickens turn white while they are laying. So I believe its probable she looked just like that. They must have got a bit flustered when asked about the differences/doubt so told what they thought was an inconsequential fib and then ghosted. But we've all done that at one point or another, its nothing really. I just want to know more about this chicken.

I'm sure we can all agree that we would love to get some actual photos of this chicken as it is today and whatever else you got in her and not just a similar chicken. If she had brothers to compare to that could be interesting.

Im going to play devil's advocate and say they probably just looked for a picture that looked like what she did look like. Most people don't take pictures of their run of the mill chickens, its only in hindsight they found a need for pictures.
But hens turning into the rooster phenotype isn't unheard of or impossible. And all yellow leg/beak/skin chickens turn white while they are laying. So I believe its probable she looked just like that. They must have got a bit flustered when asked about the differences/doubt so told what they thought was an inconsequential fib and then ghosted. But we've all done that at one point or another, its nothing really. I just want to know more about this chicken.

I'm sure we can all agree that we would love to get some actual photos of this chicken as it is today and whatever else you got in her and not just a similar chicken. If she had brothers to compare to that could be interesting.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, a lot of people out there seem to get a kick out of claiming that something 'special' like this has happened to their bird when it hasn't, so it makes it harder to believe when it genuinely does happen. Seems to me like a lot fewer would question it if the OP had just been honest about the pictures. Even if they returned and said that yeah, that's not their picture but the closest they could find, I'd probably believe them. ;) I know it does happen. Not too often, but not so rare for me to doubt it's possible!

Back
Top Bottom