Can hens hatch chicks in the winter

welcome-byc.gif
We're glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your Silver Laced Wyandotte.
hugs.gif
Good luck with your broody hen!

Thank you everyone.. She is inside the coop in one of the laying boxes. I am going to purchase a infrared light and try that for extra warmth. As for marking the eggs should I use food color? If she decides to give up I will have many more questions on how to finish hatching like how many times a day do you turn the eggs under the lamp ect. So you all are amazing and thank you for helping us, we are just learning.
1f618.png

She has only been on them 5 days. I never thought I was going to allow her to try to hatch them but since I lost the big guy and she went broody on the same day it just felt like it was meant to be. I am not really prepared for chicks but will do anything to help hatch this batch. Today the temps aren't too bad out but next week it is not suppose to get above 35 degrees.
It's possible your hen went broody BECAUSE of the loss of her rooster. Chickens can absolutely get attached to each other and it's not uncommon for two hens who have grown up together to die within days of each other. They literally can die of a broken heart. In your case her eggs may be helping her work out her anxiety.
Normally for hatching in cold months you would want the eggs in an incubator but...that's twice the loss for the hen!
Not an answer. Just a thought.

It's possible your hen went broody BECAUSE of the loss of her rooster. Chickens can absolutely get attached to each other and it's not uncommon for two hens who have grown up together to die within days of each other. They literally can die of a broken heart. In your case her eggs may be helping her work out her anxiety.
Normally for hatching in cold months you would want the eggs in an incubator but...that's twice the loss for the hen!
Whatever happened with the hatch is long over as all of this happened almost 7 years ago. This is a Zombie thread... a very old inactive thread. The OP hasn't been on the site in over 4.5 years.

Even though this is an old thread, :welcome:frowYou will find a lot of good information here BYCArticles.jpg Good luck and have fun...

Back
Top Bottom