Can humidity be too high during hatching?

fowlwoman1

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Wenatchee, WA
That is my question. Will the chicks die of humidity poisoning if it's say 90%
wink.png
? I keep hearing that 60-70% is optimal, less than that, they will stick to the shell, but what if it's higher?

this will cause to slow evaporation of moisture from the egg, so you will get sticky chicks,and to small of a aircell at hatching time. 60% humidity then 70% last 2 days.

I set mine for 55-60% the last 3 days after I was getting real wet chicks with 65-70%. After the first chick pips my humidity naturally increases to the 60's or low 70's. When I had started with the 65-70% my later chicks were hatching extremely wet, or not hatching and upon opening were fluid filled, also the humidity would jump to 85-90% which I believe was my problem. This works for me in my environment. I have not had a drowned chick since, nor have I had a stuck chick. I have 2 hygrometers so I know they are accurate.

Krista

I have been having 100% hatches of my own eggs.

I have 70%+ on shipped eggs in the last few shipments.

Day 1 - 18 = 40- 45% humidity.

Day 19 - hatch = 70% humidity.

I don't know about poisoning but 90% humidity is too high for chickens because moisture can't escape in the proper ratio for the air cell to grow.

My waterfowl hatch in 85% humidity from day 26 - hatch. 90% is too high for them as well.

Back
Top Bottom