1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can i add a "raw" egg to my dogs food?...is it safe?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by redhen, Sep 30, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    hi..i sometimes add a raw egg or 2 to my dogs food..once a day..but they are store bought "Pasturized" eggs...so..now that i'm finally getting some eggs..(from my ducks..and hopefully chickens will be soon...[​IMG]..)can i use my own flock eggs..raw..un-pasturized..in their food?...thanks for any advice.[​IMG]...Wendy

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Mine don't really like the eggs raw, I cook them up. I wouldn't worry about it, have you seen some of the stuff dogs eat?!?! I guess if you're worried about salmonella or something go ahead and cook them, but from what I've read store bought eggs are more likely to cause problems than farm fresh just because of the disease factor in the commercial raising programs.

3. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I am curious about the 'raw egg' thing too... I hope to make my own Mayo.

[​IMG]

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

eggs are great for dogs coats,, even a tablespoon or 2 in their food is good for them, it makes their coats shinier, thicker,,,,,,,,BUT, the experts may say raw eggs can carry diseases, , but i used to do it for my dogs in Maine every fall, thru winter, and never had 1 have any problems with it.

5. brandywine

brandywine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Western PA
    As long as the eggs are whole, and in relative moderation, raw ones from your own clean, healthy birds are fine.

Raw egg whites contain avidin, which (for dogs) interferes with the uptake of biotin.

If you fed a dog a lot of raw egg whites, he could develop a biotin deficiency.

But the yolks contain so much biotin, it sort of cancels that effect out when feeding whole eggs.

FWIW, though I feed my dogs a raw diet, I gently boil their eggs, on the theory that they are less likely to make the connection between their food and any freshly-laid eggs they may come across. I don't want to inadvertently train an egg-sucker.

But I have no real evidence that this is necessary or effective.

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thanks people!...my dogs love an egg in their food!.[​IMG]...and it does make the coat shiny also...i also add some veggies to their food.(once a day).like cabbage, kale, green beans, peas, carrots, spinich,(whatever i have in my fridge)..they say that the leafy greens are good for their joints and such...thanks, Wendy

7. QuailHollow

QuailHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    My dogs love raw eggs and it does make their coats shiny.

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thanks quailhollow and chirpy..appreciate the help...[​IMG]..Wendy

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  10. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

My dogs love raw eggs, too!! They get so excited when I collect eggs because I give them each one if my girls are laying well. I've been giving them raw eggs for a couple of years now, and I haven't had any health problems with any of my dogs at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by