Can I brood on the garage at this temp?

We are in CT. Can we keep 6 or less chicks safely in our garage with their heat (was thinking of the MHP) at the end of April?
It all depends on what temperature you can provide.

They need one place that stays warm enough, even in the coldest temperatures. You could set up the MHP and check with a thermometer, to see whether it does stay warm enough.

Beyond that, it is nice if their water does not freeze, but chicks can run around even in below-freezing temperatures without trouble, as long as they are always free to warm up again when they feel the need.

Chicks can be kept anywhere that can provide the right conditions, and many times a heat source in a garage can do that.

I could keep them inside for a few days.
If the chicks are being shipped to you, it might be good to keep them inside for a few days, so it is easier to watch them and be sure they have recovered from shipping. But I would probably move them out to the garage after that, or even to the outdoor coop if you can provide the right conditions there.

Oh really?! I’d love to be able to have them outdoors. I’ll take a look at those links. I’d need to make a safe space though bc our run will be under construction (expansion) at that time.
Security would be a bigger concern than temperatures then. As long as you can provide a safe, predator proof spot for the chicks, then outside is an option (or you can stick with the garage if that's the more secure option).

Security would be a bigger concern than temperatures then. As long as you can provide a safe, predator proof spot for the chicks, then outside is an option (or you can stick with the garage if that's the more secure option).
And rain! We get a lot of rain in the spring ☔️ Lots to consider. I’m kind of hoping one of our silkies will be broody. Let her do all the work 🤣 (she is aLwAyS broody 🫠). We will set up the brooder anyway.

And rain! We get a lot of rain in the spring ☔️ Lots to consider. I’m kind of hoping one of our silkies will be broody. Let her do all the work 🤣 (she is aLwAyS broody 🫠). We will set up the brooder anyway.
I get a lot of rain too. I used to bring the chicks into the garage when rain was in the forecast but with the last batch I decided... that wasn't necessary. I lean greenhouse panels over the open mesh sides to ward off direct rain, and build up the litter under the brooder several inches, so drainage is very good under the brooder.

The last time there was heavy overnight rain with chicks in the brooder, only a single corner was damp the next morning.

I get a lot of rain too. I used to bring the chicks into the garage when rain was in the forecast but with the last batch I decided... that wasn't necessary. I lean greenhouse panels over the open mesh sides to ward off direct rain, and build up the litter under the brooder several inches, so drainage is very good under the brooder.

The last time there was heavy overnight rain with chicks in the brooder, only a single corner was damp the next morning.
I do have some corrugated plastic panels I could use. And the run has good drainage and is not usually wet from underneath, just occasionally from wind blowing it in. I think our run is 12 feet tall 🤣 we had no idea what we were doing when we built it! Because of the height I think rain can blow in at times. But they stay pretty dry overall.

Back
Top Bottom