Can I candle my eggs on day 21?

LaurenB1

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
This is my first time incubating eggs and I am desperate for them to hatch!! I have 6 Serama eggs and 6 Belgium D'uccles. I have candled them every other day from day 4 but havent been able to see the veins that everyone talks about but I have seen the eggs getting darker and changing- Im so confused because I just dont know if I have healthy eggs that are going to hatch!! I do have 4 that I have put to one side in the incubator which I have ruled out but they havent had any signs of going off with the bad smells or exploding- Should I candle them?
idunno.gif
Can anyone give me some advice or anything to put my mind at rest?

I'd say keep your hands out of the bator for the next 2 days or until all are hatched, whichever comes 1st. Once your 1st baby has been in there at least 24 hours & you don't have any more pips, then open the bator & remove chicks. Wait another 24 hours to see if any more will pip before doing anything else. After you have completed day 23, as long as there are no pips you can open & candle eggs again, then I would wait another 2-3 days just to make sure you don't have any really late ones. I've seen people say they have had babies hatch up to a week late.

Candled tonight and no movement or development from when I closed the incubator on day 19
sad.png

Think its time to get new eggs and start again.
Thanks for your help and advice guys.

Hugs--it is tough to wait 21+ days and not get any babies. I am on day 21 today. I had a pip earlier and nothing since--no movement since. It is killing me. I would say unless you have more eggs ready to go then give it another day. What was your temp? Maybe you had it cooler than it was supposed to be and so a little delay?

I kept the temp between 36.6 and 38.6 Celcius- I am going to try and get some more eggs this week but will keep the ones I have in there until I have the new ones ready just incase! It really is so disappointing I really was looking forward to an incubator full of little chicks! Keeping my fingers crossed for next time
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom