Can I Combine?

WinningRabbit

Chirping
Feb 4, 2022
Hello friends,
I have a hen sitting on 8 eggs. We tried to break her of being broody but she really wanted to be a mom so we decided to go with it - have her set up in her own space, etc. She is one of our older girls and when we found her sitting on eggs, there were 16 of them! So we took 8 away from her and put them in the incubator guessing that she was on those for a few days (stole others in the coop LOL) and we are now approaching lockdown day.

Here’s my question; if she hatches some or all of those eggs, can I put these other babies in with her when she isn’t looking? Or will she dismiss or kill them?

Last edited:
Of they hatch around the same time and look similar, she may accept them. Or you can candle at lock down and see how many failed and add the rest then. I usually stick pippedneggs under mama so they can communicate and hatch with her

Hello friends,
I have a hen sitting on 8 eggs. We tried to break her of being broody but she really wanted to be a mom so we decided to go with it - have her set up in her own space, etc. She is one of our older girls and when we found her sitting on eggs, there were 16 of them! So we took 8 away from her and put them in the incubator guessing that she was on those for a few days (stole others in the coop LOL) and we are now approaching lockdown day.

Here’s my question; if she hatches some or all of those eggs, can I put these other babies in with her when she isn’t looking? Or will she dismiss or kill them?
ok we had this happen before, it is best to sneak them under her at night/evening when she can't really tell and then she should think they hatched under her.

Back
Top Bottom