Can I develop wild type Australorps?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by lyndon, Feb 12, 2015.

1. lyndon

lyndon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2014
    I love my Black Australorps. They are everything I want in a backyard breed, but I'm wondering what it would take to develop Australorps of a different color. Take wild-type for example. How would I go about developing a wild-type Australorp and how many generations would it take?

2. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Regardless of which breed (Welsummer, Dorking, Leghorn) you use to bring the wild type color into the Australorp the process will be the same. The chicks from the initial cross (F1's) will be black with the males showing some shades of red in the necks and backs. You will breed those F1 chicks together in what is called a sibling mating to get the second generation (F2) chicks. Hatch a lot of the F2 chicks since you will get a variation of colors. Only keep the ones that come the closest to looking wild type. Breed the best wild type birds back to the Australorp for the next generation (F3). Do a sib mating of the F3's to get your F4 chicks. Always hatch a lot of chicks from sib matings since you will get variations in color. Keep repeating the process for several years. Since you only breed back to Australorps every other year it takes two generations to see how the project is moving along. I'm guessing 8 to 10 years but that means you only bred back to Australorps 4 to 5 times so maybe even longer to get a great type Australorp.

I've always thought it would be great to have a light brown Australorp but I have a number of projects already. The black legs would be a great way to have it stand out from any other similar colored birds

3. lyndon

Apr 15, 2014
    Just what I needed. Thanks!

4. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    I'm a sucker for the wild coloration too, I'm doing the same right now with an American Game Hen too bring some color to my tiny white serama's chicks.

1 person likes this.
  5. lyndon

Apr 15, 2014

RainbowRooster, I made the assumption that you are starting with a wild type sire over a BA hen. Is this correct, or could you go the other way? What would happen if I did both and mated siblings from one to the other? Would I just end up with a cross rather than a Wildtype Australorp?

6. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    I don't think the gender should matter on your first cross. Since you already have Australorps it may just be easier to find a wild type male since breeders have a tougher time unloading unwanted males. For a few of my projects folks gave me males just to get rid of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by