1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can i do this, and how should i do this??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by agnes_day, Jan 1, 2009.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    ok..my landlady, the one that gave me the chicken that had been dead for hours and didnt tell me..she bought some cornish x chickens because she thought they were laying hens. [​IMG]
    she said i could have one..and i am wondering if it is too old? she said that they are 13 weeks old, and these things are huge! they feel like bowling balls when you lift them. i actually had a hard time getting one of them off the ground.
    are they too old though? i read that they had to be done at around 8 weeks, so i dont know. would i be able to roast it or would it have to be stewed? i have to say, seeing them really made my mind up about getting some of my own this spring!

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Its fine, I think the 8 week rule has to do with the feed conversion rate goes down after that age an they start dieing off. All tho there probably a little difference in toughness of the bird I think it needs to quite a bit older to require stewing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by