Can I eat the eggs if I just found 30 of them?

PolishPoppy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
(I am new to the BYC) We just checked our coop...it has been very cold and we had major snow on the ground until a couple of days ago (snow finally melted off after 3 weeks). Well, we found exactly 30 eggs - our first ever! Do we have to throw them out (heartbreaking) or can we eat them? We only have 6 chicken and I don't know if they are all laying... Thank you very much!

Quote:
sit them on counter to thaw-then put them in a bowl of water those that float throw away those that sink eat them!

welcome-byc.gif
Put them in a sink of water. If they float, they are no good. Even if they just stand on one end I toss them.

Quote:
Not me! If the temps are below 50 Ill eat any egg I find-I collect too many times a day...LOL when my egg count went from 12-14 a day down to 5-6 I knew they found a new spot-so my DD and I went searching. We found a nest hidden underneath ( 13 eggs) tree roots-dark and cool under there. They all sank in that bowl of water so in the fridge they went:)

Yeah! I think my 5 year old would have cried if she could not have eaten one! Should I do that with all 30 of them or put them in teh water as we decide to eat them? I read somewhere all the dirt on the egg should stay on the egg because it protects them? Or if I wash them, what do I wash them with? Thank you again!

Quote:
If they are dirty I take a wet washcloth and clean them-pop em in fridge -Id float all the eggs and get rid of thebad ones first-dont be surprised if none float though since its been cold out and it had only been 5 days since you had gotten eggs like normal-probably all good:)

Quote:
Not me! If the temps are below 50 Ill eat any egg I find-I collect too many times a day...LOL when my egg count went from 12-14 a day down to 5-6 I knew they found a new spot-so my DD and I went searching. We found a nest hidden underneath ( 13 eggs) tree roots-dark and cool under there. They all sank in that bowl of water so in the fridge they went:)

That does make sense. Thank you, I guess if they pass the test, they should be good. Thank you sonew.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom