Can I eat the eggs if......

Jessie_Jazz

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 6, 2010
Suffolk UK
The chicken has been eating growers pellets?

My little wyandotte laid her first egg yesterday, and then another one today (yay!) and they are beautiful little white things, but I wasn't expecting her to start laying yet so she's still on a diet of mainly growers pellets. The guy in the pet shop told me I cant eat the eggs because the foos had some sort of drug in it....... I dont understand.

I hope this is not the case as she is in with another younger chicken who is still eating growers... can I feed them both layers from now on?

I'm gonna go look at the bag of feed and see what the ingredients are. any advice gratefully recieved.

So what's in the growers that means I can't eat the eggs?
How long would you say I should wait after switching the feed to layers pellets?

Also I think the other chicken is a boy... do they eat layers? He's probably about 11-16 weeks old, can he come off the growers food yet?

Thanks! xx

I'm not experienced enough to know about how long to wait...sorry!

My roosters have eaten the same as the feed the girls were on, but I got rid of them before they hit a year old.

What does your feed label say? Does it name the medication?

aha! That was going to be my next question. The company that makes the feed offers one with ACS (whatever that is) and one without. I have the one without.

The ingredients are: Wheat, soya bean extract, Vegetable oil, diacalium phosphate, calcium carbonate, sodium chloride, DL methionine, duck/game/turkey supplement.

Any of those ring alarm bells?

I'm having a hard time finding WHAT ACS is...I found this feed with this description:

A flexible, highly nutritious and palatable starter diet, designed to be fed to either laying hen replacements or meat birds calling for a slower steady start. 18% Protien. Feeding Guide For laying hen replacements feed from day old up to 6 weeks of age. For meat type chicken feed for the first 4 weeks. Follow on rearing feed: Following Farmgate Chick Crumbs ACS in the recommended feeding programme is Farmgate Rearer ACS, fed from 7 weeks of age through to point of lay. For meat type birds grown on for seasonal markets, Farmgate Chicken Finisher ACS can be fed from 5 weeks of age to 7 days prior to marketing. For the last 7 days use BOCM PAULS Poultry Finisher Plain Pellets. Additional Information Store Farmgate feed in a cool dry place. Fresh, clean water should be available to the birds at all times.

http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/bocm-ch...m=affiliate&utm_campaign=webgains_aff_id25012

It doesn't say the withdrawal time before retaining eggs, just to feed it up to the point of lay. Looks like 7 day withdrawal for meat birds.

If you have the one without, I'd imagine it's ok to eat the egg. Can you call the feed store and ask WHAT that ingredient is?

ETA: No need to call the store if you have the feed WITHOUT ACS :p Silly me.​

Last edited:
Awesome, Thanks. I can't find online the name of the drug they put in growers food that means I can't eat the eggs..... I think I will have to phone the feed store and ask them.

idunno.gif

When in doubt, call the company. If the store doesn't seem to know, contact the manufacturer. If they can't help you, find a different feed company
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom