Can I eat these eggs?

jbahros

Chirping
Apr 13, 2020
Norwell, Massachusetts
I found 5 small eggs hidden in a small dugout area. 8 of my chickens are 17 weeks and 2 of them are 22 weeks. These are the first eggs I have seen. Im not sure how long they were outside. Temps here 60-high 70s some low 80's. It is safe for me to eat these eggs since I don't know how long they have been there?

At those ages they probably haven't been there very long.
I'd float test them to determine the age. Use warm water and if the eggs float, they're pretty old. If they lay flat on the bottom, they're fresh. If they stand up they are probably about 2 weeks or so old.
As long as they don't stink, they're probably edible.
The float test must be done with water warmer than the eggs. Otherwise the contents will contract, drawing bacteria into the eggs.

Thank you so much for that great info. They flat on the bottom so I guess we can eat them . It is so exciting!! Im not sure who did it but the Australorpe is one of the older ones. Thank you for explaining the float test.

Not sure if you have a rooster, but if any of your hens are sqatting submissively for him then that bird is most likely laying or about to. Comb and face color is also a good indicator (red =eggs soon) someone also mentioned it but floating eggs is a good idea, if it floats, chuck it. We literally chuck the bad eggs around here...it’s fun. :lol:

Thank you so much. Too late I already ate two. They were delicious! So I need to check the chicken up and measure the distance between the two pelvic bones? Oh they are not going to like that. Do you think it is likely to be the ones with the developed combs?
Yep.
I do exams off the roost at night, easier to catch then :D
Good thing to learn how to do, IMO.
Here's how:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Might want to confine them to coop and run until they start using the coop nests regularly.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I float test eggs I don’t know the age of.
Floating an egg will only tell you how old it might be.
They float due to evaporation when older.
It will not tell you if an egg is 'good' or 'bad'.
Plus then you've wetted the egg so it should be thoroughly washed and refrigerated.

When in doubt....
Open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe,
use your eyes, nose, and common sense to decide if egg is OK to eat.

Floating an egg will only tell you how old it might be.
They float due to evaporation when older.
It will not tell you if an egg is 'good' or 'bad'.
Plus then you've wetted the egg so it should be thoroughly washed and refrigerated.

When in doubt....
Open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe,
use your eyes, nose, and common sense to decide if egg is OK to eat.
Yep^ Always crack them into a dish separate from what your mixing/cooking in.

Back
Top Bottom