Can I feed 19 week old laying hens 20% protein?

if possible, can you look through this link and tell me if this is an okay brand to feed? nutrition information should be posted. Do i have to mix this? please educate me. https://www.hiprofeeds.com/products/hi-pro-layer-ration-crumble/

To clarify, I am offering an opinion. Its an opinion based on my experience (you can see my flock in my signature below - I've only been doing this 14 months) and my readings (which are varied and extensive, but i don't have a degree in this stuff, I'm learning more daily and have huge knowledge gaps). So this "education" has just one guarantee, that is that I make no promise that its worth more than you paid for it.

Those caveats aside, https://www.hiprofeeds.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/101361_6-26-19_PP.pdf is a 15% protein high calcium (3-5-5.5%) crumble which I consider to be too low in protein for a healthy backyard flock under typical management practices with a calcium content too high for roosters, for chicks of either gender, and for breeds which begin to lay late and infrequently. Its not a feed I would consider for my own use. I don't like to stock multiple feeds, or have to segregate feeding, that's more effort than I want to put into management, and I have (re: Sig, below) a mixed age, mixed gender flock.

Within the HiPro line, this Hi-Pro 20% Chicken Layer Crumble has a healthy amount of protein, needs to be kept away from sheep (added copper), and too much calcium (6%!) for anything but a dedicated flock of high volume hybrid layers like the various named RSL varieties, and then only if you don't plan to keep them past about 18 months in age (typical of commercial mangement practice). You would be wise to feed any not yet laying hatchlings and adolescents a different feed, as well.

If I had to use HiPro, and the price wasn't terrible, I'd feed my whole flock this all their lives, and place oyster shell, free choice, on the side - particularly if I planned to keep my birds past 18 months/first adult molt. (I don't, most do).

Where are you located, you may have other feed choices available to you? and do I reed your first post right, that you have a few over 50 birds??? I feel ya! I'm buying 500# of feed at a time, it gets pricey.

and solely for completeness, I will acknowledge that our friends across the pond, in the EU, routinely make use of lower protein feeds for their livestock than we in the US do. 14%, 15% seems pretty typical. There are some newer studies suggesting that 14% protein is adequate **IF** certain amino acids and trace nutrients are appropriately supplimented. The Science appears sound.

Unfortunately, complete guaranteed amino acid analysis is not available on most feeds, and there remains dispute in the community over what breeds need what amounts of which amino acids (Lysine and Tryptophan being two of the more difficult to source in plant protein sources).

So I'm sticking with the higher protein feeds for now. Just wanted to make you aware that there are other opinions who can, just as I do, claim science and practice supports their position.

Back
Top Bottom