can I feed fresh venison tallow and meat scraps ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 5th lake chick, Dec 7, 2012.

1. 5th lake chick

5th lake chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    Northern Wisconsin
    Husband bagged a deer yesterday and we are processing the meat ourselves. There are nice peices of tallow and meat scraps. Can I feed some to my chickens? I was thinking that birds eat suet. I've given them cooked meat and fat treats and they loved that. Not sure about raw though.

2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    They will go nuts over the raw meat, so go ahead. I use to always bring raw meat scraps from work(butcher shop) to feed to the chickens for extra protein.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Chickens like raw meat. Mine caught and ate a vole the other day. The snake did not last long in the summer.

Chris

4. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    we always give our chickens and ducks the rib cages from the deer we get. they will pick it clean in no time, it's good for them and they love it! I've started asking other people to give us theirs too, feels a bit strange but it really helps them put some fat on for winter.

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Yes you can feed the deer scraps to your chickens.

It's good for them. Chickens will eat anything. I've seen ours eat snakes, mice, moles, and even pick the bones of their brothers and sisters after supper if the dogs aren't fast enough.

They'd eat you if you fell down in the coop and didn't move. [​IMG]

6. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Yes!

7. 5th lake chick

5th lake chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    Northern Wisconsin
    thanks,youre right they love it!

8. toymites

toymites New Egg

May 9, 2016
    We use deer meat for tacos . Chickens love taco meat !

9. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

What a wonderful food for your chickens!

You can render the venison tallow and make suet if you want to be bothered...I thought it was fun to do...I did this with beef tallow a month ago and they love the suet...but sounds like raw is just fine. My only concern with raw (or even cooked) is that if you have predators it might be an attractant. The suet doesn't seem to be, but if I gave mine more meat than they could clean in a day, I would be removing it to inside (like put it in a cooler) for overnight, etc...just a thought.

I jealous! lol

Makes me wonder about using the offal now...

10. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

They will eat that also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by