1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I feed my Chickens chicken?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GreenChic, Jun 21, 2011.

1. GreenChic

GreenChic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    I was cleaning out the fridge today and I usually give my chickens leftovers that were not seasoned heavily. I came across some chicken we grilled for a cookout a couple of weeks ago and asked my aunt what to do with it. She said give it to the chickens I said give chicken to the chickens and she said it would help keep food cost down. They are 8 weeks old and they have eaten bread, watermelon, and cooked macaroni. But is chicken going to far? Has anyone fed their Chickens chicken?

2. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure I give my chickens chicken. But I don't know about it being a couple weeks old. When you say a couple I think like three, and that is way too long I think.

3. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    My chickens love fried chicken! But I don't give them anything that my DF wouldn't eat (his standards are lower than mine.....). Much past a week and I'd have some concerns unless it'd been frozen.

4. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    My hens steal the cat's chicken food all the time. I tell them they're being cannibals but they don't seem to care!

5. Feather Lady

Feather Lady Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Auburn, Maine
    Mine eat chicken leftovers and cooked eggs

6. AmyL

AmyL New Egg

Aug 1, 2009
    North Central Texas
    I feed left-overs containing chicken all the time. Just one more source of protein.

7. ILuvMyPetChickens

ILuvMyPetChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Leavittsburg, Ohio
    Our chickens eat our neighbors cat food.

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

To me a couple is two (like two people are a couple) but that is still too long for me to give it to anyone.

9. jwg423

jwg423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Minnesota
    They can have chicken. This is what I was told about left overs, and is what I go by: If it's something that is to old and you wont eat it, then they shouldn't eat it.
    Mold and bacteria can harm chickens just as it would you or I.

10. GreenChic

GreenChic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    I'm sorry I meant the chicken is like 3 days old. We just left it out and didn't eat it. My aunt didn't want to waste it I just thought it was kinda cannibalistic to give chickens chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by