Can I feed my girls leftover stuffing with onions in it?

RichtmanRanch

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 23, 2013
Minnesota
So we have TONS! of left over stuffing from Christmas. It has gluten free bread, celery, sage, sausage and onions. I have read onions are not good to feed because it can taint the flavor of the eggs but also contains toxins in them that can damage red blood cells (or so I read somewhere else). But I was wondering if cooking them changes that. I mean the stuffing is mostly bread, but if I can feed some of it to them safely I would like to do so instead of composting it all.

So we have TONS! of left over stuffing from Christmas.  It has gluten free bread, celery, sage, sausage and onions.  I have read onions are not good to feed because it can taint the flavor of the eggs but also contains toxins in them that can damage red blood cells (or so I read somewhere else).  But I was wondering if cooking them changes that.  I mean the stuffing is mostly bread, but if I can feed some of it to them safely I would like to do so instead of composting it all.  

I feed mine onions (cooked). Mine will not eat a raw onion, I've thrown them out there and they always pick around it nad leave the onion laying on the ground.

Pretty much every left over I feed my birds has cooked onion in it
big_smile.png
We like our onions here.

No change in flavor of the eggs. Not when they eat cooked onion, garlic, raw fish, anything. I've never noticed a change in the taste of the egg. I'd love to feed them salsa trimmings and be able to market salsa-flavored eggs, but no go
lau.gif

Pretty much every left over I feed my birds has cooked onion in it
big_smile.png
We like our onions here.

No change in flavor of the eggs. Not when they eat cooked onion, garlic, raw fish, anything. I've never noticed a change in the taste of the egg. I'd love to feed them salsa trimmings and be able to market salsa-flavored eggs, but no go
lau.gif
Would be so cool to get salsa flavored eggs.
If feeding them something could change the taste of eggs just thinks of the things they eat that you don't know what they've picked up.

Would be so cool to get salsa flavored eggs.
If feeding them something could change the taste of eggs just thinks of the things they eat that you don't know what they've picked up.
I'd be like the Every Flavor Beans in the Harry Potter stories----corn flavored egg, corn flavored egg, corn flavored egg, dead mouse flavored egg---
sickbyc.gif
corn flavored egg.......

My birds eat a lot of nasty stuff. Guess I'm okay with egg flavored eggs!

I'd be like the Every Flavor Beans in the Harry Potter stories----corn flavored egg, corn flavored egg, corn flavored egg, dead mouse flavored egg---
sickbyc.gif
corn flavored egg.......

My birds eat a lot of nasty stuff. Guess I'm okay with egg flavored eggs!
LOL!

Mine eat most anything they can get. They eat all our scraps including raw and cooked onions. Some are pickier than others but that's fine since they get free choice feed all the time. I would love salsa flavored eggs. Would be great if I could feed onion, garlic, and some herbs to season them before butchering too. That would be better than any marinade !

Back
Top Bottom